Starwars Holiday Special (1978) [TV to LD Transfer Version]

Verified - Rare sci-fi movies from TV, VHS, LaserDisc, or lower quality source. Also a place for lower quality rips.

Moderator: Movie Mods

Starwars Holiday Special (1978) [TV to LD Transfer Version]

Postby Jynks on Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:24 am

--
Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)
[TV to LD to AVI Transfer Version]
--

Answers.com wrote:The Star Wars Holiday Special was a two-hour television special (including commercials) broadcast on November 17, 1978 on CBS. In it, Chewbacca and Han Solo visit Kashyyyk, Chewbacca's home world, to celebrate Life Day. Along the way, they are pursued by agents of the Galactic Empire who are searching for rebels on the planet. The special introduces three members of Chewbacca's family: his father, Itchy, his wife, Malla, and his son Lumpy. Later Star Wars novels would also feature these characters, notably Michael P. Kube-McDowell's Black Fleet Crisis trilogy, Patricia Wynne's "The Wookiee Storybook," and Matthew Stover's "A Forest Apart."

The program also features cameos by other Star Wars characters, including Luke Skywalker, C-3PO, R2-D2, Darth Vader, and Princess Leia (who sings the film's "theme song", set to the music of John Williams' Star Wars theme, near the end).

The Holiday Special is important for being the first film-length Star Wars story after the original movie, and for showing an expanded look at parts of that universe. For the most part, however, the plot serves as little more than a means to string together a series of musical numbers, celebrity cameos, and other variety-show acts. These include songs and comedy routines by such '70s talents as Jefferson Starship, Diahann Carroll, Art Carney, Harvey Korman, and Bea Arthur. Easily the most notable segment is an animated cartoon featuring the pre-Empire Strikes Back debut of Boba Fett.

Star Wars Holiday Special @ IMDB

Jynks wrote:The search for the perfect copy of the Star Wars Holiday Special continues. Here is a great new release I found that is already spreading like wild fire though emule. This IS NOT the old Holiday Special posted on this site ages ago but a "new" transfer from a home made lazer disk bootleg from asia. This version has NO ADDS. It is also the 2nd best quality version I have ever seen... have fun.

The best quality version I have, but unfortunately it is a 2 VCD set and disk r29 get crc errors :( So until I can find a replacement for that file or another copy of it this version seams to be the best I can see.

Just remember that this show is despised by Georgie Boy and has never seen a re-release from the original TV airing in 1978. So the only copies taht exist in the world are dubs of dubs of dubs from that original broadcast.

ed2k: StarWars%20Holiday%20Special%20(1978).avi  [718.89 Mb] [Stats]
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby d0c on Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:17 pm

can you post any screens of this one and the first version that was posted here so we can se the quality diffrents, just for fun ofcoz :)
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:41 pm

I have long ago deleted the 400ish meg version of the holiday special that has been floating rund emule for ages. The only other version I have is the 2 CD VCD version that has a corrupted file so I only have the first half of it really :(

Remember this is still a VSH transfer from the original TV air date of 1978 so it is a dub of a dub of a dub of an almost 30 year old show.

These are jpgs of the NEW version (no size reduction)

These are jpgs of the ORIG emule version that was around before, thne under each of them i have put a verion from the 2 disk VCD version I have. I belive the crap avi is made from that version.

Just for fun, a news break from the 2cd VCD version about russia testing the nutron bomb. (ARRRGGG the secret weapon!)
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby Jynks on Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:00 pm

This new version is a lot higher rez but has some propblems with the VHS loosing tracking somtimes and stuff like that.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby El Mariachi on Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:36 pm

That VCD release seems sharper.

gonna click anything that has the name Star Wars in it
"Spectacular stunt my friends, but all for not... turn around please, what a pity what a pity." - gay officer in Spaceballs
"It has zombies in it, how can you not give a crap?" - Spud
El Mariachi
The Ninth Passenger

Postby d0c on Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:49 pm

i hope you find the full vcd disk... we need this one bad!!
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:14 am

Yea.. the small blurly one is a bad;y made avi, made i tink from the vcd version I have. The new file as you can see is much larger rez, so even though it isn't as sharp it dose look very clear when it is moving.... somtimes it is a toss up between the two....

The VCD version is currently on a snail mail trip around all my mates (just posted uit with a heap of stamps) to see if anyones cd drive can read the file. So fingers crossed.

All the images in this thread are from THREE diffrent version not two and they are all FULL SIZE images from the source... not shrunk at all.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:45 pm

big res + low bitrate = bad :(

Shame really, but this is an awful, awful programme that I really can't understand why you'd want to watch more than once :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Jynks on Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:51 pm

must.... ... . get.... ... . everything.... ... . that.... ... . is.... ... . starwars.... ... . <eyes buldge out of head>
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Return to Lower Quality section