Edison, the Man (1940) (TV RIP)

Verified - Rare sci-fi movies from TV, VHS, LaserDisc, or lower quality source. Also a place for lower quality rips.

Moderator: Movie Mods

Edison, the Man (1940) (TV RIP)

Postby kggf on Sat May 03, 2008 8:49 pm

A while ago I posted a request for this movie, Well after lots of hunting I found a copy, I thought I would post it incase anyone was intrested. (The File has been chacked and it is working avi.)

Name: - Edison, the Man (1940)
IMDB: - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032432/
ED2K Link: - ed2k: Edison,%20the%20Man.avi  [704.49 Mb] [Stats]

Details: -
File : 704 MB (704 MB), duration: 2:00:05, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 57 %
Video : 594 MB, 692 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 640*480 (4:3), DX50 = DivXNetworks Divx v5
Audio : 109 MB, 128 Kbps, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3

Plot: The movie begins with a dinner in 1929 honoring the "Golden Jubilee of Light," the anniversary of the invention of the electric light bulb. But the guest of honor has not yet left home. He is being interviewed by two high school students, telling them that success is ninety-nine percent perspiration and one percent inspiration, and that the most valuable thing in the world is time, because all the money in the world won't buy one minute of it.

At the dinner, he is spoken of as a man who created with the light "a new declaration of independence, a freedom of the mind." The movie flashes back to Edison's arrival in New York, as a young man. His first invention, a vote recorder, failed, not because it didn't work, but because no one wanted to buy it, and he swears not to make that mistake again. He invents a stock ticker, expecting to get no more than two thousand dollars for it. Taking the advice of his girlfriend, he waits to get an offer, and ends up selling it for $40,000, which he uses to set up the first industrial research laboratory in the U.S.

He almost loses everything with his failure to create the electric light, which scientists have proclaimed impossible. Noticing the properties of one of the pieces of equipment in the lab, he invents the phonograph, which is enormously successful, and the lab is saved. He keeps working on the light bulb, testing more than 9000 substances as filaments. When one of his colleagues says, "We're as sorry as you are that you didn't get results," he replies, "Results? Man, I got a lot of results. I now know 9000 things that won't work."

Finally, they find a filament that works. The science has been successful, but the next challenge is politics. The powers behind gas do not want electricity because they will lose money. They impose a seemingly impossible deadline, but Edison meets it, and New York City is electrified.

At the celebration in 1929, the speaker worries that man will destroy himself with technology. Edison responds that man's ingenuity and humanity must work together in balance. "What man's mind can conceive, man's character can control."

I have no Screenshots of this and no website to post them, If anyone is willing to Move this post to the correct place once it has been done, it will help many people that might want this film..

Thanks
Kggf
kggf
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby gnitsuk on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:45 pm

Thanks,

Downloaded and watched it - cheers.
gnitsuk
Red Shirted Trekker

Re: Edison, the Man (1940) (TV RIP)

Postby pinaylover on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:38 am

pinaylover