Sci-fi, Sci-fi & fantasy, etc. Site Genre discussion

Any problems, requests or comments regarding the site can go in here.

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:30 pm

i have to agree (makes a change eh lol) i dont see how this is relevant at all to scifi
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby hagbard on Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:58 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:i don't see possible relation to this site, i think its getting offtopic.

I already removed a lot of documentries about the gazastrip to income tax in america. :?

As I already said in my first post, I agree, that the documentary section is drifting too off topic & a lot of the releases there don´t really fit in the site. So I would generally support a "cleaning action".

Holocaust denial however is not only off topic, but really disgusting - and I would oppose it in any P2P community. That said, I hope, that you will remove this one at least.
hagbard
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby Bassline on Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:16 pm

IMO nearly all of the recent posts in the docu section have completely no relevance to this site and don't deserve to be posted here,fair enough post them in other sites but not this one. I also agree they should be removed and would be only glad enough to trash em :mrgreen:
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Bassline
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:28 pm

okay i removed some as per the requests
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:31 pm

time to release a pdf of mein kampf then :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:38 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:science fiction and fantasy.

IMO This is very obviously a fantasy movie, drug induced but fantasy none the less.
Not exactly the staple fantasy part of the field, but that's why there's lord of the rings and other movies here.

at first (maybe 2 weeks ago?) I agreed with this and said nothing. checking the thread again, I gotta take a mulligan...

except it's essentially supposed to be non-fiction. a dramatization, certainly, but of real events - and we're not talking U571 here. personally, I think it's just cuz people think it's a cool movie so they look for reasons to fit it in (subconscious thought processes: "it's terry gilliam. we can find a way!" "johnny depp! yeah! this is fantasy.") cuz if this is fantasy, then everything is because everything is a representation of an idea of a thing instead the thing itself and blah blah blah, plato aristotle, derridon't, etc. and suddenly any piece of fiction (which amounts to everything - thank you philosophy) is fantasy - check out that explosion: totally unreal. fantasy!
:lol:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:37 pm

i dunno, unlike horror, i think that the genre descriptive fantasy differs from the general use of the word fantasy. Check out a dictionary.

but your right on fear and loathing in paticular why i didn't delete it, i won't deny it. its just in line with the "scifi and fantasy... oh and drug documentries" policy... people don't want to let some good crack go and people said they wanted them to stay :)

aka shut your face you big fat clown... :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:11 pm

fantasy wrote:1. imaginative power: the creative power of the imagination
2. mental image or dream: an image or dream created by the imagination
3. psychology creation of mental images: the creation of exaggerated mental images in response to an ungratified need
4. impractical idea: an unrealistic and impractical idea
5. literature genre of fiction: a type of fiction featuring imaginary worlds and magical or supernatural events

I'm assuming 5 is what "fantasy" is supposed to mean for the purposes of genre distinction. so no docu actually fits that description - not that I care. I just figured docus on sfx and other similar specials that I'd never bother to dl were in the docu seciton but people were posting crap from michael moore or the march of penguins. (although most of the good stuff is on companion discs and released in movie threads anyway, I guess)

1-3 define every work of art ever created

and 4 seems to specifically target sci-fi & fantasy (except fantasy has its own genre def in 5)

basically (since sci-fi is a given, you don't even need to concern yourself with 4), you have to adhere to 5, or every movie ever made is fantasy because it is a work of art, and art is fictional/representational (i.e., unreal and products of a person's imagination),

yeah yeah, I'm way late. but it felt like a good thought. :-o

edit: it was funny to read the indiana jones/romancing the stone possibiities, cuz (don't remember the latter) indy is</i> fantasy (genre def. 5), but it's action-adventure first, then fantasy. and by the time you get to the third frackin' (sub)category, it's time to move along, dude. like me from this thread. :wacky:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:50 am

yeah your right about indy, but that's kind of a "by the way, lets add some dewbacks". All the crazy shit happens at the end for no real reason,its completely isolated to the end of the film... it might as well as not happen :lol:

There's the odd moment in temple of doom, but for all you know as the audience its special effects and hocus pocus to trick the factory workers, not like flying ghosts or an old english guy with a sword.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:28 am

now i just posted The Warriors, but d0c doesn't seem to agree.
viewtopic.php?t=2088
My reasoning was threefold:
1) Its set in an implausable future/ world where new york is overrun by gangs
2) its a ripoff of A Clockwork Orange and they all wear silly clothes
3) Its a "comic book" movie

I'm not loosing it am i? I'm pretty sure this is futuristic and alternative enough to fine for this site. I was quite surprised that d0c didn't actually, but then again, he does it in every other thread anyway :mrgreen:

What does everyone else think?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby hagbard on Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:04 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:now i just posted The Warriors, but d0c doesn't seem to agree.

And in such a charming way indeed:

d0c wrote:are you drunk??

:lol:
hagbard
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby dinky on Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:43 pm

(post) apacalyptic or distopian - backbone of sci-fi. technical standpoint, I guess the future part makes it fit anyway.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:48 pm

well I removed that thread since no1 seemed to get it. oh well
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Previous

Return to Site Help & Development