WOW. major site update!!

Any problems, requests or comments regarding the site can go in here.

WOW. major site update!!

Postby Jynks on Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:20 pm

Gee spud you were not fooling around with your last update!!! Great work man.

Guess you will have to find scifi content for the news banners now :)

I personally like all the changes apart from expanding the width of the solaris theme.... not nearly as neat and nice in my eyes now it stretches the entire screen but small potatos that complaint is.

Also take a look at this post in the "what is real" theme you can see a glitch...
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:37 pm

oops i didn't update a file in that template, fixed the wat is real

I personally like all the changes apart from expanding the width of the solaris theme.... not nearly as neat and nice in my eyes now it stretches the entire screen but small potatos that complaint is.

That can be changed. Its to do with small themes and the way they don't take up the entire width. I guess i can try and shrink it back down when i next have time.

---

About the updates, fortunately/unfortunately they had to be done depending on which perspective you take. The board code between forum and scifi subdomains had gotten too different and updates weren't working.

I installed easymod on both and for whatever reason when i installed the latest security fixes, scifi wasn't working with quotes very well. So i had to sync all the code up and then obviously modify and customise the headers.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:01 pm

Okay i've reduce solaris and that's in the process of being ftp'd onto the site. It will fill 80% of your screen. Previously it was set at 700 i believe which is rather low.

Banners

Yes, i'd love to see banners.

The dead-donkey one that is on every theme can be replaced. A transparent gif of something with a logo would be nice i think, a space man or something would work well. Similarly for whatisreal theme, i used solaris' planet at the top, if anyone uses bryce and thinks they can top any image... go for it.

The header

The header is a little rugged because its not actually part of the themes, to add the php it had to be part of the board code and that's why it has the basic structure. The links come from the main page.

Errors

There will be errors or glitches, please report them and i'll do my best to fix them

Smilies
I've reverted to forum.dead-donkey.com's set as part of the code update. They can be replaced.

Themes

• SubSilver, default, matches forum.dead-donkey.com
  • Galaxian, modified from the old galaxian theme
  • Solaris, modified from the old solaris theme
  • whatisreal, by request, modifed from the template of that.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:42 am

Seasm you have also set the new blue theme as the default if nothing is selected. If I log out that theme loads up.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:49 am

solaris looks great except for the dead donkey logo on the left. doesn't fit the theme at all and would rather see something custom for sci-fi.

really like the rest of the news ticker (header?) information. accessible. easy to read. maintains basic look.

edit: loving whatisreal
dinky wrote:whatisreal looks great. but I'm having second thoughts about the layering. I've gotten used to the tables stuck on the background. looks cool though.

y'all need to update to gif avs with transparant backgrounds. :P

definitely need to mock-up a blue sun for that header and lose the DD logo (or better yet, give it a transparent background). is that possible? I'm acting like the fat swiss kid in charlie and the chocolate factory, aren't I?

minor problem navigating in whatisreal. it doesn't seem to list the thread pages at the top (only at the bottom). that's annoying. still gonna hang with the blue stuff for a bit though.

and from the bottom of the whatisreal pages, there's no little navigation map thingy:
Scifi.dead-donkey.com Forum Index Site Help & Development WOW. major site update!!

there's the drop down box, but those things are fuct. the regular links map thingy is much more useful, imo.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Bond on Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:34 pm

The onhly thing what's catches my eye, is in the solaris skin the planet horizon (wich I 'borrowed' for my sig) is cropped and the menu's have a ugly black background scarving the planet....
But I think in some time you'll look into that.....
For the rest - good job!!!! :beerchug:
Bond
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby dinky on Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:38 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:Banners

Yes, i'd love to see banners.

The dead-donkey one that is on every theme can be replaced. A transparent gif of something with a logo would be nice i think, a space man or something would work well. Similarly for whatisreal theme, i used solaris' planet at the top, if anyone uses bryce and thinks they can top any image... go for it.

if you change the corner image to a sci-fi theme, I take it you'll have to change the link as well? I like the original idea best: transparent background. the actually DD logo has very compatible colors with whatisreal.

strictly out of curiosity: why bryce? it's just a gif or jpg, isn't it?

no errors yet. you saw my layout bitching above. so I take it you passed your finals or whatever? :lol:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:56 pm

solaris looks great except for the dead donkey logo on the left. doesn't fit the theme at all and would rather see something custom for sci-fi.

Send your entries on a stamped addressed postcard to the blue peter appeal.

The header code is output with that image, so its a change one, change all. transparency can only be acheived with a gif, as internet explorer can't render transparent pngs.

However, i'm not a photoshop person so its open to the floor.

minor problem navigating in whatisreal. it doesn't seem to list the thread pages at the top (only at the bottom). that's annoying. still gonna hang with the blue stuff for a bit though.

didn't notice but i'll change next update, its part of the default theme.

strictly out of curiosity: why bryce? it's just a gif or jpg, isn't it?

I'm no CGI expert, but it looks like a bryce render to me. I believe jynks knows his stuff so he'll probably yay or nay that one.

I didn't mean it has to be exclusively made in bryce, i was being sarcastic about the fact that most times you see a planet anywhere as a cgi render (outside of a huge budgeted project) it tends to be done in bryce and you can tell. :lol:

Yes its just a jpg, but if you've ever used Bryce it has to be the most monkey simple landscaping application on the market. Basically, you can drag and drop a sphere, give it a texture, drag and drop another sphere and you have volumetrics, and then hit render and they look pretty good even doing that!
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:24 pm

got the original pic w/o the DD text? I think I saw it on someone's av. be a lot easier.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:02 pm

test: ImageImageImage
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:23 pm

dinky wrote:got the original pic w/o the DD text? I think I saw it on someone's av. be a lot easier.

spudthedestroyer wrote:erm..yes, here's the original:

:)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:13 pm

lessee...
yikes! lol

Last edited by dinky on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:32 pm

/me burns out his eyes with acid

ARRRRGHHHH THE HORROR!

:googley:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:36 pm

I can't make the text not look gay without a matte.

anyway, here's the ball back. Image

without crossing the streams:
ImageImage
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:51 pm

emp0rer is working on this one for its replacement on the rest of the site btw
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby hagbard on Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:13 pm

Hej guys.

Just coming back from holidays, and I must admit, that I am a bit at a loss here:

First of all, I can´t find where to change themes. But more important: I can´t find the "Search for new posts since last visit" ... ??

:wacky:

[EDIT]

All right, all right. Please ignore me.

Finally found the themes in my profile, switched back to Solaris and - voila - there is the "View posts since last visit" in its old place ...
hagbard
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby <insert> on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:17 am

hagbard wrote: switched back to Solaris and - voila - there is the "View posts since last visit" in its old place ...

yep, hehe - I just did the same thing.
new is good but it needs that added

great work keeping the forums happening spud :beerchug:
Slowly Building the Subterranean Internet Movie Database

News Feeds for my Lastest Finds: >> [ed2k] [BT] [NZB]
HOWTO's: rss > bt > ed2k > usenet

<insert>
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:38 am

<insert> wrote:
hagbard wrote: switched back to Solaris and - voila - there is the "View posts since last visit" in its old place ...

yep, hehe - I just did the same thing.
new is good but it needs that added

great work keeping the forums happening spud :beerchug:

erm... this one?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby hagbard on Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:16 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:erm... this one?

No, the problem is with the Galaxian theme. Still haven´t found it there, but maybe I´m just blind ... :wink:
hagbard
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:02 pm

lol oh rite, important, you have to tell me exactly to what your referring to else i have no way of knowing.

Its back on galaxian
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Next

Return to Site Help & Development