Install sub-forum mod: Documentary type split

Any problems, requests or comments regarding the site can go in here.

Install sub-forum mod: Documentary type split

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:01 pm

Just wondering if there is any interest in the following proposition.

There is a mod for phpbb that allows for sub-forums, that is seperate forums contained within a forum classifier. When you click on the forum link on the index, your taken to a list of the sub-forums that are related.

I'm proposing this because as you know there's a 'dispute' or rather a subjective understanding of scifi and science documentary, and instead of being exclusive, the content can then be filtered out into one of several subcategories.

If you do not want content that isn't specifically definable as scifi, as some users have posted, then please vote no and/or specify any other preference.

If you would like this, we need to devise some suitable subforums for documentaries.

For example something like?

Scifi and Science Documentaries
|- UFO and Extraterrestrials
|- Space and the Universe
|- Conspiracy Theories and Hidden Truths
|- Sci-fi in the arts

Speak up! :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Re: Install sub-forum mod: Documentary type split

Postby dinky on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:45 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:J instead of being exclusive, the content can then be filtered out into one of several subcategories.

I thought your forums already had a garbage can.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:12 am

yeah we do have a hidden can, what i mean is that the content isn't removed, but filtered into appropriate degrees of seperation. So instead of bunging everything in one section, or having a split into more sections in the index (which as you'll know from FH i loathe), the content is selectively posted into appropriate sections.

The idea is very much to have these subforums but keep this from directly bloating up the main forum listings.

For example I love ufo and et, space and the universe and movie documentaries, but i get a tad bored with ecopolitics and all the american establishment documentaries (particularly because i've seen a lot of them already and not being an american, its not really a pressing concern in learning about things I already gathered from viewing externally). There's also only certain scientific documentaries i tend to enjoy too, so seperated out its easier for people to jump to a point of interest which is the main reason for the notion of a split.

But of course, i know for a fact, people have the inverse opinion, and this way they can view things as they wish.

Of course, there's also the view of deviating from scifi, which is also valid, but then of course tight moderation is needed for the documentary section and i'm repeatedly moving and removing topics.

I think that's the two extreme views (yay or nay).
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:16 am

even steven, obviously not as popular a notion as i expected.

I'm interested in knowing if the people who say nay, are saying nay to subcategorisation and it should stay as is which is what the poll is about, or a particular example of what should come under subcategorisation i gave (to clarify those subsection splits were just examples, better ones feel free to suggest says i :googley: )
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:43 am

either I completely misunderstand or I just see no point in a subforum for content that doesn't rightly fit in the main forum (a new forum/subdomain would make more sense). I also don't see a difference between subforum and new categories/sections.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:30 am

I think it is a good idea. Personaly I would like to see a more orginised doco section. Also I know there is a lot of talk about content etc etc, but the way I figure it.. what dose it matter... people keep posting them, the users must want it in some way.... if only the fourm kept track of clicks... Anyway, if it isn't to much hassle... then why not do it?

There is all sorts of cool things you can do with sub fourms... like if you have the high quality section we have now, with everything in it, then a sub fourm called 1950-1970. That auto grabs all posts titles with the correct years... so those posts apear in both fourms. etc etc etc.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby hagbard on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:14 pm

Well. Not that it would bother me very much, but since you are asking (and remembering being called a "bugger" for not replying in similiar thrads before): I´m rather one of those for a more rigid limitation of the content.

There are dozens of boards out there without a special theme, and I for one know a few with quite extensive documentary sections, which btw tend to hold more or less the same content / links everywhere ...

So: I don´t see the need to have that stuff here as well. After all, this is a SciFi board ...

:)
hagbard
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby d0c on Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:35 pm

i think there is enough changes to the forum as it is.... it works and it is more than good enough as it is, dont need more changes to it..... the picture of dead donkey up there and the links to none sci-fi movies is more than enough.. the solaris theme is more than enough fucked up as it is...
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Bassline on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:31 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote: tight moderation is needed for the documentary section and i'm repeatedly moving and removing topics.

me too :roll:

i have no problem possibly having sub forum/categories for this lot
Scifi and Science Documentaries
Code: Select all
|- UFO and Extraterrestrials
|- Space and the Universe
|- Sci-fi in the arts

BUT i have a big disliking to having this lot
Code: Select all
Conspiracy Theories and Hidden Truths

keep that OUT of here :P as it's been said many a time before by many others there are LOADS of other places to get such files and this is supposed to be a sci-fi forum and i consider that not to be sci-fi :mrgreen:
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Bassline
Modding the Machine

Return to Site Help & Development