A new way of posting Flicks.

Any problems, requests or comments regarding the site can go in here.

A new way of posting Flicks.

Postby Jynks on Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:54 pm

I was thinking what do you guys think of when you post a move adding a poll at the top of it for ratings?

Code: Select all
eg:
Poll - Rate this movie
        1/5
        2/5
        3/5
        4/5
        5/5

The problem is it would look ugly in the forum with [poll] next to every topic title. But it would be cool to have some kind of rating system for the movies that appears in the top post, as a way for comers to get an idea of the reception of the movie?

Thoughts?
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:21 pm

I dunno i don't really see much need for it. Someone suggested this at dd a long while back and it no one seemed to get behind the idea, and infact it received a lot of criticism.
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic. ... ght=rating

I mean what are we rating the quality of the file or whether we like it?

There's clear difference between opinions on everything. Some people think really bad rips are 'good quality' when they are really technically bad and look very poor. Some people also have really contrasting opinions of movies too. I really contrast with max, he likes some really loathesome movies like eurotrip whereas i think they are diabolically shit, so flat voting is rarely very useful. For a useful vote there needs to be some more advanced algorithm for recording who voted for what and then linking to other highly rated movie to build up a knowledge database. Without it, i don't see how its any better than say like IMDB, which has a score for movies already (and the links should already be included).

I think the polling option should already be turned off in the release sections, if not, its a permissions mistake i made when setting up the forums.

I do however like the notion of a rating and recommendation system. It was always my intention of adding this functionality to the frontpage at some point in the future, but for the forums I'm not sure it would work.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Jynks on Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:53 pm

I ment for wether the film is good not the quality of the file itself.

rating and recommendation system

This is what i was getting at.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:12 pm

I still don't think it will work, not in phpbb without irreversable modifications, and the work needed to the gain is a tad top heavy. The inclusion of an imdb link should offer the same functionality at a much lower cost, that way you can see what people think of the movie. Surely?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Return to Site Help & Development