The Mothman Prophecies (2002)

Verified - Quality retail DVDRips. Xvid or DivX. If its non-retail, poorly mastered or if the rip is low-q, please post in low-q section. Lower quality DVD-rips may be moved to ensure high quality in this section. No VCDs or unverified releases in this section please.

Moderator: Movie Mods

The Mothman Prophecies (2002)

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:55 pm

Mothman Prophecies (2002)

advancedfilesize

IMDB here
Review here
User Rating: 6,4

Directed by
Mark Pellington

Writing credits
John A. Keel (novel)
Richard Hatem (screenplay)

Cast:

Richard Gere .... John Klein
Laura Linney .... Connie Mills
Will Patton .... Gordon Smallwood
David Eigenberg .... Ed Fleischman
Bob Tracey .... Cyrus Bills
Ron Emanuel .... Washington Post Reporter
Debra Messing .... Mary Klein
Tom Stoviak .... Brian
Yvonne Erickson .... Dr. McElroy
Scott Nunnally .... Orderly
Harris Mackenzie .... TV Journalist
Lucinda Jenney .... Denise Smallwood
Tom Tully .... Motel Manager

Source: R1 DVD (retail)
Lenght: 01:58:50
Filesize: 1.45 GB (or 1,487 MB or 1,523,456 KB or 1,560,018,944 bytes) (1/3 DVD-R)

Video:
Xvid
NTSC
Frame Size: 720 x 304
AR: 2.368 (45:19)
Aspect Error: 0,6%
Fps: 23,976
Video Bitrate: 1296 Kbps
Qf: 0.326
BVOP: yes
Max consecutive B-VOPs: 2
Qpel, GMC: no
Matrix: Jawor 2CD

Audio:
Ac3 5.1 48000 Hz 448 Kbps
Interleave: 96 ms (2.3 v.frames), preload=96
Audio frames: Split across interleaves

Subs: English, French, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese

Movie: ed2k: Mothman.Prophecies.2002.DVDRip.WS.Xvid.AC3.5.1.avi  [1.45 Gb] [Stats]
Sample: ed2k: Mothman.Prophecies.2002.DVDRip.WS.Xvid.AC3.5.1-Sample.avi  [10.66 Mb] [Stats]
Subs: ed2k: Mothman.Prophecies.2002.DVDRip.WS.Xvid.AC3.5.1-Subs.Eng.Esp.Fre.Br.rar  [2.27 Mb] [Stats]
Info: ed2k: Mothman.Prophecies.2002.DVDRip.WS.Xvid.AC3.5.1.nfo  [1.4 Kb] [Stats]
Screenshots: ed2k: Mothman.Prophecies.2002.DVDRip.WS.Xvid.AC3.5.1-Screenshots.rar  [1.18 Mb] [Stats]

Worked fine on a standalone (pioneer 383).
If possible help spread. Feel free to post it anywhere.

I honestly can't remember if this is a scifi or not... its like a horrory scifiy thrillerly thing right?

[ Add all 5 links to your ed2k client ]
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Da [Fr]OG on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:24 am

It is supposed to be a thriller, Spud. I've watched that one a few months ago. Boring, I found. And it has nothing to do with science fiction. Nore horror... It's just supposed to be based on a true story that deals with premonitions.
The end is just pathetic.
All that money for that !
But hey, my tastes...
Jess is the Best ! Thanx for everything, mate !
Da [Fr]OG
Having trouble with tribbles

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:10 pm

hmm i'm pretty sure i remember it was a scifi, the explaination behind the mothmen was something to do with powerlines or something wasn't it? infact weren't they aliens or transdimensional beings or something silly like that? Is this the one where they don't like the light?

edit: imdb says it is at the very least, a scifi that is.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Da [Fr]OG on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:30 pm

Spud, I won't answer precisely, as I still dunno how to hide a part of the text (beleive me, I'm searching since half an hour and you know, newbies...) and don't want to spoil here... But, nop, no "science" fiction here. Yes Pellington is a good director, but he's lost by the script and yes, it has something to do with visions and supernatural, but nope it's not horror...
Jess is the Best ! Thanx for everything, mate !
Da [Fr]OG
Having trouble with tribbles

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:03 pm

i've centruple checked it, its a scifi I'm afraid, your wrong to argue that its not a scifi, you can only express the opinion that the very foundations of scifi genre (which is a checklist like genre) need altering to make it not a scifi. Which is fine, i guess, i wish i could alter the matrix of reality to make it not a movie :lol:

For the record, Dead Zone is classified as scifi (presumably why its shown on the scifi channel :lol: ), just as it is a horror, but more over a thriller, just incase your not clear on that. Paranormal is a scifi subgenre because it goes against science fact :)

You can't say its not a scifi because that would go against very rigid guidelines for what is scifi. Read the split @ hhah anyway, is very, very clearly is.

The director claims it isn't too btw, but that's only because he's protecting his movie against being bottlenecked as a scifi flick which is a death blow for mass market appeal with titles like this. The reason he can claim this is that he stated it actually happened so its not a scifi :lol: Nut cases aside, a movie about the paranormal is a scifi, its one of the quantifiers for classifcation. And to be clear, its only the people who worked on the movie that have the crazy notion its not a scifi, and people keep asking them why and they fail to answer why it isn't. Which once again points to the fact that they don't want to be pigeon holded as making a scifi movie, and they are wrong, paranormal, as i've said umpteen times, is a scifi plot trait that means automatic classification as one. ie. why xfiles is scifi even when aliens aren't involved, and why buffy is also scifi, even if both are horror/drama and whatever else too.

What is wrong, I believe (and this is where opinion enters) is to ever classify scifi as the main genre because quite frankly, that's not what scifi means as a real genre, instead the main classification is the standard genres, like horror, action, adventure whatever, and scifi because it meets the quantifier for classification. Unfortunately over the time scifi has been around, they've clouded it up and you get the "oh it needs aliens to be scifi" people, etc. In reality, if a main plot device, or setting goes against known science fact, it is science fiction, which means here, where we have mass spread of paranormal and supernatural visions, weird alien creatures that may or may not exist, etc. it nails every subcomponent required to be a scifi, however in true genre senses, it is a thriller. But this site is a catch all because its a genre site, so its down to the element of scifi being present for it to be allowed. Which means this movie, with a scifi sub genre matching, belongs on this site with the xfiles and the dead zones, and the star wars, and the strange days. Even in cases where they "dissapear away" the story through psyhcological or "all in the head" answers, the problem is that comes down to perceptions of reality and the nature of what is real or not, which leads the door open to still classification as scifi. Its why its perfectly acceptable to have say, Videodrome as a scifi too, even though that's not its main purpose or indeed much of a classifier on that sole face value.

There's enough paranormal in here to fill the titanic, and like the titanic they both sank :lol:

All three mothman topics belong on this genre site i'm afraid, unless you petition to get all known sources of scifi definitions changed, and that's a lot of people you'll have to beat up. Even then, I'd stick with old school science fiction genre guidelines, just to annoy you :lol:

I guess all that's left if to rewatch and make it definitive, but that unfortunately means sitting through this shite which i otherwise had no intention of doing.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Return to High Quality Section