Greatest 10 Scifi films of all time. [collection question]

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Greatest 10 Scifi films of all time. [collection question]

Postby Jynks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:53 am

I would like to start a new collection. a Scifi-donkey user voted best of scifi collection.

I am open to ideas on this. I was thinking of doing it 1 or 3 ways.

1) Make it a top 20 list, with 5 runner ups

2) Making it a series of categories (say Robots, Interstella War. Time Travel) and then the top 2 in each cat... (this might allow for more films and obscure ones... but if teh cats are to spesific then films will be lost as they do not fit in.

3) Cats like above ecexpt they try to sort the films by standing... eg: - Mainstream, Cult, Obscure

What you guys think?
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:24 pm

I think since it's one collection, it should just be "best scifi" and not broken into categories. I also like the idea of narrower classifications. but I think they're their own collections.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:40 pm

aye, i wouldn't bother with categories ;)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby MyK on Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:14 pm

I say let's do it "the eurovision style" :lol: It could actually work... everybody votes for his/her fav 12 movies (the first gets 12 points, second 11,...) then, after some set period of time, you sum it all up in a nice ordered list of all movies that got at least set number of votes (or, alternatively, just the top 20) ;)
"The products suck! There's no sex in them anymore!" (Steve Jobs)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:58 pm

I say we do it eurotrash style, and have lots of naked people and a very greasy, slimey frenchman as the presenter...

ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby MyK on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:26 pm

OK. Lemme brush on my French while you take your pants off :P :lol:
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:27 am

ok every list your fav 15 scifi films
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:42 am

I can't give you my top 15 but i can list the first 15 that pop into my head.

Brazil
Empire Strikes Back
Jabberwocky
Blade Runner
A Clockwork Orange
Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Re-Animator
From Beyond
The Thing
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Soylent Green
Andromeda Strain
Mad Max 2

There's countless others so my top 15 I can't give you. Some of the above movies will certainly be in it.

First 15 that popped into my mind and in no particular order.

Same again but for tv series, and only 10 :lol: :

Farscape
Red Dwarf
Babylon 5
Battlestar Gallactica
X-Files
Twin Peaks
Futurama
Angel
Buffy
Outer Limits
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby hagbard on Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:58 am

Do you want personal favourites ? Or something like the most important / influential / whatnot movies of the genre ? Pure SciFi or Fantasy too (seeing Jabberwocky on spuds list) ?

Some nominations from my side (kind of mixture of personal favs & must see SciFi movies), in no particular order:

2001 - A Space Odyssey
Blade Runner
Brazil
Star Wars (the old ones)
Terminator
Alien 1&2
The Matrix
The Thing
Twelve Monkeys

Purely personal favs:

X-Men 1&2
Children of Men
Casshern

Some "important" movies / classics, that come to mind spontaneously:

Metropolis
Solyaris
Stalker
Soylent Green
some H.G. Wells movies (Things To Come, War of the Worlds, Time Machine)

Anime:

Akira
Ghost in the Shell

And if Fantasy is to be included:

The Lord of the Rings
hagbard
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby dinky on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:33 am

I guess I'm doing by personal favorites. also making the distinction between fantasy and sci-fi, lest my list be completely different and loaded with things that are canonically "fantasy." finally, not sure about night of the living dead. I don't mind calling it sci-fi, but I'm afraid that also opens the door to evil dead series and shaun of the dead, which if they are allowed to be included, would certainly rank on the list.

so here we go:

1. empire strikes back
2. back to the future (just part 1 but no qualms with lumping tall three in there)
3. terminator 2: judgment day
4. aliens
5. alien
6. night of the living dead
7. return of the jedi
8. serenity
9. v for vendeta
10. blade runner
11. matrix
12. star wars
13. terminator
14. x2
15. spider-man 2
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby MyK on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:30 am

Sci-Fi top 15:

1. Solyaris
2. 2001 - A Space Odyssey
3. Blade Runner
4. Alien
5. Dark City
6. Stalker
7. THX 1138
8. Aliens
9. Strange Days
10. Nineteen Eighty-Four
11. Jacket, The
12. Bicentennial Man
13. Donnie Darko
14. Fire In The Sky
15. Men In Black

Sci-Fi related and/or fantasy:

1. Himmel über Berlin, Der
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. Delicatessen
4. Being John Malkovich
5. Meet Joe Black
6. Abre Los Ojos
7. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
8. Cité des enfants perdus, La
9. Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead
10. Dernier Combat, Le
11. Kin-Dza-Dza
12. Mirrormask
13. Starman
14. Wonderful Days
15. Seksmisja
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:52 pm

MyK wrote:7. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

shit. this is going to happen to me a lot. that shoulda been on my list before a couple others. :?

have you seen Death Takes a Holiday or the 1971 remake, by chance? I never have and I liked Meet Joe Black too, but I always felt kinda guilty cuz the reviews I remember made it sound like an indulgent, uninspired remake.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby MyK on Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:47 pm

Dinky wrote:shit. this is going to happen to me a lot...

This is gonna happen to everybody. I think it's prolly best if this thread is allowed to run for some time before Jynks gathers it all as "official" results. This way we could edit our "votes" and include some movies we forgot to add. It's Jynks' thread tho so he should tell us how much time we have to play with.

Dinky wrote:have you seen Death Takes a Holiday or the 1971 remake, by chance? I never have and I liked Meet Joe Black too, but I always felt kinda guilty cuz the reviews I remember made it sound like an indulgent, uninspired remake.

Actually seen them both on TV and those reviews that you read are simply not true or written by complete morons that can't accept anything "new" being better than the "classic". The pre-WWII one is actually only worth mentioning cuz it brings this most wonderful Italian stage play to the TV screen. While it's prolly truest to the original play (that I've never seen BTW so take my commenting regarding this with a grain of salt) the quality of it (acting, directing, what not) is not even close to "Meet Joe Black" in comparison. The 70s something version has better quality cast but still way too theatre like style IMO and it's just not delivering. It feels artificial and since the story is all about feelings we tend to keep to ourselves most of the time and in that sense kinda fragile... well, it just doesn't feel right. "Meet Joe Black" IS the best interpretation out there and is simply brilliant in all respects. Might not be everyones cup of tea but bashing it just cuz it's not the first interpretation that was made is the most moronic thing ever and those that wrote reviews you read should be closed in iron maidens and forgotten about. They can scream the agony of their most useless lives in private there :twisted:
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:00 pm

kinky.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Butsy on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:03 pm

In no particular order

Men In Black
Men In Black 2
Children Of Men
Stargate
The Fith Element
Mad Max 2
The Running Man
Blade
The Matrix
The X-Files Movie
Butsy
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:30 pm

Men in Black??? MEN IN BLACK 2???? Serenity?
Damn... :o And men in black appeared on two list :o

Ouch...

I forgot "The Truman Show". No one has mentioned it yet, but I enjoyed that film, i think its better than Eternal and more critically significant. And City of the Lost Children is indeed excellent. My list, as i said isn't my top 15 because I'd need a while to sit down and compile it. We probably need to compile all the movies then pick the best 15 from the list.

Maybe we should outright ban films made in the last ten years; there's a fuzzy logic applied to new movies that they are the best thing ever (I call this the IMDB effect, i think they devalue early votes actually when compiling votes), yet this nearly always turns out to be incredibly embarrasing for the voter in a number of years. :lol:

I'm surprised no1 picked equilibrium :wacky:

MyK's list is good though, I think he's made a really good critical shortlist.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby MyK on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:48 pm

Men in Black???
:lol: :lol:
It's on my list too only #15 and will surely get off of it as soon as I remember better movies (Brasil comes to mind ATM). Although, I consider "Men in Black" one of the most entertaining Sci-Fis ever (and "Space Balls" ;)) and we should give credit to such movies as well IMO. Tho there's a line we should never cross... like "Armageddon" that might be considered "entertaining" yet is utter crap and ppl that think is any good should stick to movies like "There's Something About Merry", "Stuck On You" and "Nothing" :P Also, where should be movies like "Dark Star" listed? It is clearly a masterpiece Sci-Fi but I don't think it should be listed with other full budget quality production movies???
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:57 pm

How about i print out such movies on my toilet paper and give it credit that way? As ass wiping material.

Dark Star, although signficant is pretty crap imo :lol:

I've got empires "greatest scifi films of all time" guide with some interesting choices.

I think greatest is very, very different from favourite. It implies some kind of critical and cultural signficance; MiB shouldn't be on such a list imo.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Vae Victis on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:43 pm

In no particular order and by far not complete.

Movies:
Blade Runner
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Quatermass Xperiment (1955)
The Thing (1982)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Highlander 1
The Blob (1958) although I do like the 88 as well
Trancers 1
Scanners 1
Leviathan
Westworld
Screamers
The Philadelphia Experiment
Star Wars (original series)
Alien
Aliens
Fifth Element
Terminator 1
The Fly

Series:
Total Recall 2070
Battlestar Galactica (both series)
Stargate SG1 (and Atlantis)
The Lost Room
The X-Files
Twilight Zone 80s (do like the 60s as well, but 80s just dunno)
V
Red Dwarf
The Invisible Man (most would say it sucks, but found it entertaining :wacky:

I could go on endlessly..

The Thing
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Spud which ones?
Got milk?
Vae Victis
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby MyK on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:50 pm

But you see "Dark Star" is both critically and culturally significant. You might be too young but it was a cult movie back in the days. It is a crap movie though and if you ask me it's a zero budget "Silent Running" rip-off with "Dr. Strangelove" ending (that Freud would be proud of) but it did in a sense show us Carpenter's ability to make a large orange beach ball scary as hell. Also, it's in one-on-one fight with "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" for the worst movie ever made that was copied so many times and seen by so many people it got brilliant somehow :wacky: Perhaps a new category should be added to this "greatest of..." list that could host must see cult movies that are crap like "Star Wars", "Serenity", "Dune", "Planet of The Apes", "Logans Run", "Leviathan", "Signs",... and the two mentioned :twisted:
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Next

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal