Greatest 10 Scifi films of all time. [collection question]

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:51 pm

Highlander? WTF? That film should never, ever, ever be mentioned in a thread like this.

Unless it was the greatest pieces of shit :lol:

@invasion and the thing, the good ones; spock + kurt russel versions :lol:

Signs isn't a cult movie, its just shit :lol: Highlander should take its place; its hella-shit :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:53 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:My list, as i said isn't my top 15 because I'd need a while to sit down and compile it. We probably need to compile all the movies then pick the best 15 from the list.

not my call, but I think it will produce more "true" results.

Maybe we should outright ban films made in the last ten years; there's a fuzzy logic applied to new movies that they are the best thing ever

that's a bit dangerous, I think. I understand the rationale, but everyone prefers their favorite movies in large part because of who they were at the time and how that movie worked at that time rather than any absolute criterion for greatness.

*my bad, I thought it was critically best OR favorite. I would rejig my list a bit just on that. serenity, however, is on there primarily for critical anyway. I really dig the reaver plot and the civilized/savage themes. :twisted:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:23 am

I just would liek a way to do the list and not have movies that are realy common like stawars would be on it blade runner 2001 etc etc.. these are given so we need the list to be long enough for some personal preference to get in on the list

Unless it was the greatest pieces of shit

That could be a fun thread as well :)
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:37 pm

ah okay, so its favourite 10 scifi films of all time rather than greatest? I'll have to think about that :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:24 pm

2001 makes me wanna shoot myself.

(no. I'm not gonna watch it. har har)

was one of those bad experiences as a kid that ruined the movie forever after. like having to read dickens or hawthorne in high school. except I wasn't actually forced to watch 2001. I was just a sci-fi/fantasy & western fan as a tween, and running into that movie just sapped my will to live.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby FPiX on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:35 pm

Jynks wrote:ok every list your fav 15 scifi films
In no particular order:
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
- (obviously the original theatrical versions not the SE's)
Blade Runner
The Terminator
Robocop
Back to the Future
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
Ghost Busters
Superman
Superman 2
The Abyss
Alien
Aliens
Mars Attacks!

(Edited)
(Edited again)
Last edited by FPiX on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
FPiX
Having trouble with tribbles

Postby dinky on Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:55 pm

ooh! ghostbusters. that's a big one. :rock:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby asbak on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:47 pm

No mentions for Starship Troopers?

It was a fantastically subversive film combining elements of political brainwashing with campy B-Movie action, horror and nudity with fascist overtones. The film is obviously not like the book and is usually knocked heavily for it but perhaps it should be judged as something that took on a life of its own?
asbak
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:23 pm

starship troopers was a bit shit to be honest :lol:

I've defended it in the past, but i don't think its overly good in anyway :(
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:15 am

asbak wrote:No mentions for Starship Troopers?

It was a fantastically subversive film combining elements of political brainwashing with campy B-Movie action, horror and nudity with fascist overtones. The film is obviously not like the book and is usually knocked heavily for it but perhaps it should be judged as something that took on a life of its own?

It felt like the same schtick PV used over a decade earlier in Robocop. except by comparison, Robocop was subtle. I also think that kind of (political/military) satire is ridiculously easy, and 20-40 years too late to be "subversive." now, it's just "been there. done that." seriously, even uwe boll is doing it. so I wouldn't rate it as really good. if you're going to take one of his movies for the action & tits, Total Recall is a lot more bang for your buck, imo. all that said, Starship Troopers wasn't bad. I was mildly put off cuz it felt like a bit of an aliens ripoff that got misplaced and spliced with some old tom cruise-in-high school movie from the 80s, with a side of Melrose Place. it probably didn't help that most of the actors were terrible (not that the plot demanded brilliance) but it wasn't actually a B-movie.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:54 pm

the bugs were iraqis weren't they? it probably became more apt much later when little bushy jr came to power :lol:

I don't see it at all like a aliens style film, its super-liminal and kind of works okay. I just don't think it was very effective in implementation and could have picked a bit more from the book.

The soundtrack was stunning though, download "klendathu drop"
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:29 am

iunno. the bugs sure seemed to put up a hell of a lot more fight than the Iraq in under either bush regime. :lol:

heh. they actually call aliens "bugs" in the extended universe. anyway, you have uncountable numbers of really alien looking, badass things ordered around a hive mentality/structure. I wouldn't call it aliens "style" cuz that's dark, claustraphobic, and the exploitation of shadow is masterly. the bugs in ST are out in the open (kinda like PV's 'subtle subversiveness'). the comparison stops at the hive mentality and wholly alien features of the soldier bugs and the inevitability that they'll overwhelm you and of course their ferocity and pointy appendages. wait, that's not all. you also have the space marines. :? can't forget them.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby FPiX on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:19 am

I had Starship Troopers in my original 15, then I remembered some better sci-fi films and replaced it.
FPiX

Postby John_Doe on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:24 pm

A few that hasn't been mentioned?
Kin Dza Dza (The alltime greatest)
Day of the Triffids (1962)
War of the Worlds (1953 of course)
Cypher
Mysterious Two
Metropolis
The Big Empty
They Live
eXistenZ
Repo Man (not really sci-fi but almost?)
Forbidden Zone (but is it sci-fi? who knows?)
Thumb Wars

Then follow the standard:
Blade Runner
Mad Max 2
Donnie Darko
Starship Troopers
The Thing

I also remember rather enjoying Nowhere Man when it aired some 10 years ago(?) but haven't bothered to watch it since, so I really don't know if I'd still like it.
Ahh.. no offence, but you are a robot, aren't you?
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:34 pm

omg.. John Doe... been a wjile from your last post
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby John_Doe on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:25 am

=)
I've been gone for a while, but just when I thought I was out, the dead donkey's came and sucked me back in again!!
Ahh.. no offence, but you are a robot, aren't you?
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Postby d0c on Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:13 pm

hahaha your not alone about that :)
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:07 am

rofl
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby FPiX on Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:30 pm

With apologies to the original poster, I decided to tot up the "votes" so far. So, here we have the Scifi.dead-donkey.com top 10 sci-fi movies of all time:

1. Blade Runner (1982) - 10 votes
2. Alien (1979) - 8 votes
=. Aliens (1986) - 8 votes
=. The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - 8 votes
5. Star Wars (1977) - 6 votes
=. The Thing (1982) - 6 votes
7. Return of the Jedi (1983) - 5 votes
=. The Terminator (1984) - 5 votes
9. Mad Max 2 (1981) - 4 votes
=. The Matrix (1999) - 4 votes

Just off the list with 3 votes each are:
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), Brazil (1985), Donnie Darko (2001), Silent Running (1972), Stalker (1979), The Fifth Element (1997), Twelve Monkeys (1995), The War of the Worlds (1953).

(Updated 2-Apr-08)
Last edited by FPiX on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FPiX

Postby jakobx on Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:47 pm

here is mine in no particular order: (you said 15 right)

Star wars IV
Star Wars V
Blade Runner
Aliens
Terminator 2
Predator
Gattaca
Planet of the apes
Fifth element
Matrix
Twelve monkeys
Forbidden planet