Help me downloading one of the movies

Any problems, requests or comments regarding the site can go in here.

Help me downloading one of the movies

Postby snoop on Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:40 pm

im a huge sci-fi fan as most of you here also, but im a newbie when it comes to download it via ed2k :(

i want to download some of the following movies, mostly the first one called APEX.
viewtopic.php?p=23470#1

can somebody help me what i have to do for it. im not a "big" newbie, so you don't really need to explain it step by step.

i would really appreciate it!!
thanks! :)
snoop
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:31 pm

ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby snoop on Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:58 pm

first of all, thank you for your help!
i finally got it work, but i have another question.

i want to download A.P.E.X.
thats how i tried to download it:
first, i klicked on the apex-ed2k link and then
i klicked on [Stats] and picked one of the server-ip's which were available there and added it on emule.

now i have the problem, that the download goes very very slow (0,5-2 KBytes/s). my internet speed is up to 400 Kbytes/s down and about 60KB/s up!

how can i increase the speed a little, because 0,5 KB/s is really slow :(
thanks a lot!
snoop
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby MyK on Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:08 am

I'm assuming you have your eMule set up like described in guide Spud posted link for it, so...

Basically - It's the way eMule works and you'll have to wait in queue with other sources. Once you'll start uploading (chunks are some 9.3 MB in size) your queue score will increase (only with those sources you upload to), thus you'll get to DL faster.

ed2k is mostly good for downloading multiple files at once. If you want only small number of files once in a while then rather try finding the same files on BitTorrent network.

It's also possible you don't get enough sources cuz you're only using a single server so go to Servers window in your client (applies to eMule), copy http://corpo.free.fr/server.met into "update server.met from UR" field and click on update button.

Once you'll have all the servers in list, sort them by "files" or "users" and double-click on one of the first with more files/users. This way your client will discover sources more quickly, but if you wait and have KAD enabled, it won't make for any difference, as sources get updated by other sources and via KAD network also ;)

Also make sure your upload speed is at least 10 kbps!
"The products suck! There's no sex in them anymore!" (Steve Jobs)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby snoop on Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:36 am

should i also share some files from my pc? :)
snoop
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby MyK on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:11 am

It's not necessary as it would be with some other p2p networks. You only get higher score with those clients you upload to, so getting higher score with others you might never download from would only be a waste of upload bandwidth IMO ;) Increasing upload speed will give you higher rating with those clients you also download from in time, though.

I'd first check if your setup is OK by adding some popular downloads to your queue, like say some recent TV rips or something. Add 20-30 of such files (different content each or last few eps of most popular TV shows, say HDTV rips of 24, Lost, BSG, ER,...) and then wait for a few ten minutes and you'll see if your setup is good by observing speed graph in Statistics window.

There are also loads of other settings you'll need to read about if you have to setup router and/or firewall. There are guides for it to be found on almost any ed2k file sharing forums out there.
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby snoop on Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:06 pm

how do i know which server i have to choose/connect from the list, when i want to download a.p.e.x. (viewtopic.php?p=23470#1)?
is there something specific i have to pay attention, or just connect to through the list and hope finding some sources :D

(sorry for my questions^ i'm really a newbie in emule/edonkey) :(
normally i use torrents but i couldn't find any a.p.e.x-torrent!

but anyway, thanks for your help here and be proud of this board here, because its really a nice one for people who likes sci-fi/fantasy movies :)
snoop
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby MyK on Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:36 am

Any server will do as long as it's not one of those lame fake servers ;)

There's a good guide (w/ screenshots :D) on http://sharethefiles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63275 you might want to read.
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Screwface on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:05 am

Very useful post!

How long does one have to queue before the DL can start ?
There is no Dana, only Zuul!
Screwface
Skutter

Postby hagbard on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:18 am

It differs from file to file. I have downloaded 1.4 GB movies within 1 day, whilst I have waited 1-2 weeks for a 100 MB music album to finish ...

Usually the download goes faster, when there are many sources.

When you double-click a download in the Transfer window, a list of all the sources appears, incl. your place in the waiting list at each source.
hagbard
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby Screwface on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:27 am

Okey, thanks. I've waited over an hour now but nothing happens, still in queue - guess i must have patience :D
Screwface
Skutter

Postby hagbard on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:38 am

As MyK said: It is recommended to download multiple fles, so overall DL speed increases.

I usually have 6-15 active downloads at any given time (depending on the number of sources).
hagbard
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby Screwface on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:54 am

Thanks, figured that out now.. I have two ongoing DL's now. at the amazing speed of 3,6 kb/s :D

I understand that it will increase the more active downloads i get. Pretty cool, found some really really rare movies here...gotta love this site man 8)
Screwface
Skutter

Return to Site Help & Development