Dune (1984) (TV Edition)

Verified - Quality retail DVDRips. Xvid or DivX. If its non-retail, poorly mastered or if the rip is low-q, please post in low-q section. Lower quality DVD-rips may be moved to ensure high quality in this section. No VCDs or unverified releases in this section please.

Moderator: Movie Mods

Dune (1984) (TV Edition)

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:56 am

From fh.org
Phantomas wrote:
NoTiMPoRTaNT & Phantomas inc. present

Dune.1984.EXTENDED.PROPER.DVDRip.XviD-FiNaLe

PLOT: In the distant future, a man appears who may be the prophet that a long-suffering galaxy has been waiting for.

Code: Select all
 Video Codec...: XviD 
Video Bitrate.: 950kBit/s avg.
Audio Codec...: VBR MP3 
Audio Bitrate.: 120kBit/s avg. 
Aspect Ratio..: 1.33:1     
Resolution....: 512x384
Frame Rate....: 25.00
Genre.........: Sci-Fi
Runtime.......: 176 MiNS
Rar's.........: 74x20mb
Language......: English
Subs..........: None. 

DVD Release...: 08/18/2003
DivX Release..: 10/28/2003
US Theatre Rel: 12/14/1984

Info:
IMDb
ISONEWS
finale-dune-xvid.nfo

Movie:
ed2k: Dune.1984.CD1.EXTENDED.PROPER.DVDRip.XviD-FiNaLe.avi  [700.83 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Dune.1984.CD2.EXTENDED.PROPER.DVDRip.XviD-FiNaLe.avi  [699.44 Mb] [Stats]

Enjoy!

SLOReactor Team is helping with the release - thanx guys 8)

[ Add all 3 links to your ed2k client ]
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Gorehound on Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:51 pm

is it worth the DL spud? its fullscreen and i remember i had DLed an "extended" version once, with painted respectively animated sequences in it.
a real letdown. is it this version?
Gorehound
42?

Postby Gorehound on Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:35 pm

i guess this means yes. :(
I´m doing my part!
Gorehound
42?

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:58 pm

lol, sorry Fullscreen is the only edit you'll get of this, it was made for tv.
This version is good, but Lynch wanted his name removed from the credits of it. If your a fan of Dune, I would recommend seeing it at least once. :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby John_Doe on Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:06 pm

naaah. read the book instead, and forget this piece of thrash.
Ahh.. no offence, but you are a robot, aren't you?
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Gorehound on Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:27 pm

i have the dvd of dune, haven´t sorted it under trash though... :o
so i´m going to see this cut at least once. :lol:
reading dune, puh, need a little more time for a project like this. :(
I´m doing my part!
Gorehound
42?

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:30 pm

I like the scifi mini series myself, Children of Dune is much better than the first too.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Blade Runner on Tue May 04, 2004 3:05 pm

I've just been watching the Mini series and agree 'Children of Dune' is much better than the first one, but still pales in comparison to the film.

They have just released (5th April) a new special edition which I'm very interested in if someone has it.

http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7000000082006
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby Purple.Nightmare on Tue May 04, 2004 10:23 pm

this version not good - some scenes dont have ne sfx cos were added way later (eg some scenes show freman with normal eyes not glowing!!) David Lynch also had his name removed from this edition.....
In Space No One Can Hear You Scream
Purple.Nightmare
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby elguaxo on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:49 am

Extended Edition

advancedfilesize

Synopsis: David Lynch wades through dark waters in his adaptation of Frank Herbert's cult science fiction novel. In condensing Herbert's rambling and complex book by eliminating characters and compacting events, Lynch succeeds in rendering the story incomprehensible to those unfamiliar with the novel and making the film look like a sketchy greatest hits collection of the book for Herbert fans. The story takes place in the year 10,191. The universe is governed through a system of feudal rule, presided over by Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV (José Ferrer), who appears to take his marching orders from something that resembles a talking vagina. In the kingdom are two rival houses -- the House of Atreides and the House of Harkonnen. Each house is trying to gain dominion over the universe, but that dominion can only be gained by the house that controls the Spice, a special substance that permits the folding of time. The Spice is only available on the desert world of Arrakis, or Dune. Shaddam, tired of the feuding between the two houses, permits the Atreides to take over the Spice production on Dune, while secretly working with the Harkonnens to launch a sneak attack on the Atreides and destroy them. The leader of the Atreides is Duke Leto (Jürgen Prochnow), who rules with the help of his concubine Jessica (Francesca Annis) and son Paul (Kyle MacLachlan). The rival Harkonnens are headed by the pus-oozing degenerate Baron Vladimir Harkonnen (Kenneth McMillan, in a thoroughly through-the-roof performance) and his two unsavory nephews, Rabban (Paul L. Smith) and Feyd (Sting). When his father is murdered by the Harkonnens, Paul escapes to Dune, where he is greeted by the Fremen (the desert dwellers on Dune who prepare the Spice) as the messiah foretold in Fremen legend. Paul assumes the mantle of messiah and leads the Fremen in a revolt that topples the balance of power in the universe.

Reviews: Roger Ebert | allmovie | Rotten Tomatoes | IMDb (external reviews)

Dune Versions

The Theatrical Cut (1984): (137 minutes). The only director-approved version of the film and the only "Director's Cut" of the movie, as it was edited by David Lynch but with the restraints that its total length not be longer than 137 minutes.

The Alan Smithee Version (1988): (189 minutes). Prepared for television broadcast without either participation or authorization by David Lynch. This version was only released on laserdisc in Japan [23], though VHS copies of the original television airing are found in the bootleg market.

The Channel 2 Version (1992): (180 minutes). Prepared for television broadcast in the San Francisco area, it featured the new scenes from the Alan Smithee Cut as well as scenes from the Theatrical Cut.

The Extended Edition (2006): (177 minutes). A re-edited version of the Alan Smithee Cut, including deleted scenes as a DVD feature.

The Workprint version: (approximately four hours). An assembly of all footage after principal photography was complete, it was shown to the crew in Mexico as well as to Frank Herbert. Contrary to popular fan rumours, it was by no means the Director's Cut of the film. This workprint version is the basis of such rumours, but there was never a four-hour cut of the movie in its complete form.

IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/
IMDb Rating: 6.5/10 (27,523 votes)
Tomatometer: 63%
Awards: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/awards

Directed by: Alan Smithee

Cast:
Francesca Annis .... Lady Jessica
Leo Cimino .... The Baron's Doctor
Brad Dourif .... Piter De Vries
José Ferrer .... Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV
Linda Hunt .... Shadout Mapes
Kyle MacLachlan .... Paul Atreides
Jürgen Prochnow .... Duke Leto Atreides
Sting .... Feyd-Rautha
Sean Young .... Chani

<table class="quote"> <tr> <td align="right" valign="top">Title: </td> <td align="left">Dune (1984)</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right">Source: </td> <td align="left">DVD Retail / R1, NTSC / Universal</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right">Size:</td> <td align="left">2.347.001.856 bytes (1/2 DVDR)</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right">Runtime:</td> <td align="left">02:56:58</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right">Format:</td> <td align="left">AVI - OpenDML (AVI v2.0)</td></tr> <tr> <td> </td></tr> <tr> <td> </td></tr> <tr> <td align="right">Video Codec:</td> <td align="left">XviD (xvid_encraw 1.2)</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right">Video Bitrate:</td> <td align="left">1311 kbps</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right">Resolution:</td> <td align="left">720x304</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right">Aspect Ratio:</td> <td align="left">2.368</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right">Frame rate:</td> <td align="left">23.976 fps</td></tr> <tr> <td> </td></tr> <tr> <td> </td></tr> <tr> <td align="right">Audio Codec:</td> <td align="left">AC3 (5.1 channels)</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right">Audio Bitrate:</td> <td align="left">448 kbps</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right">Sampling Rate:</td> <td align="left">48 KHz</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right" valign="top">Interleave:</td> <td align="left">96 ms (2.3 v.frames), preload=96
Split across interleaves</td></tr> <tr> <td> </td></tr> <tr> <td> </td></tr> <tr> <td align="right">Language:</td> <td align="left">English</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right" valign="top">Subtitles (Vobsub):</td> <td align="left">English (HI), French and Spanish</td></tr> <tr> <td> </td></tr> <tr> <td> </td></tr> <tr> <td align="right">SA:</td> <td align="left">B-VOP, No Qpel, No GMC, No P-Bit</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right">CQM:</td> <td align="left">EQM V3HR</td></tr><tr> <td> </td></tr> <tr> <td> </td></tr></table>

Screenshots:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

ed2k: dune.1984.extended.dvdrip.xvid.ac3.6ch-[gx].avi  [2.19 Gb] [Stats]
ed2k: dune.1984.extended.dvdrip.xvid.ac3.subs.eng.fr.spa-[gx].7z  [2.73 Mb] [Stats]

[ Add all 2 links to your ed2k client ]
elguaxo
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:32 pm

i wish people would stop linking to roger ebert, his reviews are crap and inconsistant to the level where a blind, deaf and dumb panda which based it's reviews solely on the current red ant population of outer mongolia would make a better reviewer.

Although this movie certainly was a screw up.

btw. that DVD cover is beautiful, which region/edition of dune is it?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby elguaxo on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:i wish people would stop linking to roger ebert

:lol:

spudthedestroyer wrote:btw. that DVD cover is beautiful, which region/edition of dune is it?

elguaxo wrote:<table class="quote"><tr> <td align="right">Source: </td> <td align="left">DVD Retail / R1, NTSC / Universal</td></tr></table>

This is the 'real' cover, but the cover I posted above looks better. :mrgreen:

elguaxo
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby John_Doe on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:04 am

[quote="spudthedestroyer"]i wish people would stop linking to roger ebert, his reviews are crap and inconsistant to the level where a blind, deaf and dumb panda which based it's reviews solely on the current red ant population of outer mongolia would make a better reviewer.

[quote]

I usually enjoy his reviews. Although I don't always agree with his opinions, he always seems to manage to put the movie in an interesting context, which is just the way reviews ought to be IMO. His vast movie knowledge is amazing.
Ahh.. no offence, but you are a robot, aren't you?
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:31 pm

the version posted by elguaxo isn't the tv version is it.. it is the extended theater release? I have nvr seen the tbv version not in FS
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby elguaxo on Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:35 pm

It's the:

elguaxo wrote:Extended Edition

elguaxo wrote:
Dune Versions

The Extended Edition (2006): (177 minutes). A re-edited version of the Alan Smithee Cut, including deleted scenes as a DVD feature.

Edit: more info about the versions here
elguaxo
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby Jynks on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:08 am

great stuff!!!
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Return to High Quality Section