What fantasy movies do you remember?

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

What fantasy movies do you remember?

Postby Toran of Malveel on Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:48 pm

In IMDb I found information about many fantasy movies. Some films have several titles.

Hawk the Slayer - 1980 year.
Excalibur - 1981
The Archer: Fugitive from the Empire - 1981 (telefilm)
Dragonslayer - 1981
Conan the Barbarian - 1982
Sorceress - 1982
The Sword and the Sorcerer - 1982
The Beastmaster - 1982
Ator l'invincibile - 1982
She - 1982
Gunan il guerriero - 1982
The Sword of the Barbarians - 1982
Fire and Ice - 1983 - animated movie
Ironmaster - 1983
Conquest - 1983
Krull - 1983
Hearts and Armour - 1983
Hercules - 1983
Deathstalker - 1983
Thor the Conqueror - 1983
Hundra - 1983
Throne of Fire - 1983
Ator l'invincibile 2 - 1984 - second movie about Ator
Sword of the Valiant - 1984
Conan the Destroyer - 1984 - sequel of Conan the Barbarian
The Warrior and the Sorceress - 1984
Arthur the King - 1985 - telefilm
The Dungeonmaster - 1985
Ladyhawke - 1985
Red Sonja - 1985
Legend - 1985
Flesh+Blood - 1985 - fantasy or no?
Wizards of the Lost Kingdom - 1985
Barbarian Queen - 1985
Amazons - 1986
Iron Warrior - 1987 - third movie about Ator
The Barbarians - 1987
Deathstalker II - 1987 sequel of Deathstalker
Stormquest - 1987
Willow - 1988
Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell - 1988 - third Deathstalker movie
Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II - 1989 - sequel
Barbarian Queen II - 1989 - sequel
Deathstalker IV: Match of Titans - 1990 fourth Deathstalker movie
Quest for the Mighty Sword - 1990 - fourth movie about Ator
Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time - 1991 - sequel
Fantaghiro - 1991 - telefilm and sequels too
Wizards of the Demon Sword - 1991
Fantaghiro 2 - 1992
Quest of the Delta Knights - 1993
Fantaghiro 3 - 1993
Eyes of the Serpent - 1994
The Dragon Ring - 1994 - telefilm
Fantaghiro 4 - 1994
Beastmaster: The Eye of Braxus - 1996 - third Beastmaster movie (TV)
Princess Alisea - 1996 - telefilm
Fantaghiro 5 - 1996
Kull the Conqueror - 1997
The Princess and the Pauper - 1997 - telefilm
Conan: The Adventurer - 1998 - telefilm
The Hexer - 2001

What fantasy movie you have seen? What fantasy movies you know also? I remember good Hawk the Slayer, Conan the Barbarian and Red Sonja only. Many films from this list I never have seen.

It seems, in Flesh+Blood was not magic, but IMDb says that it's sword and sorcery.
Toran of Malveel
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:19 pm

christ i've seen loads mate, ranging from The Princess Bride to Brazil, might be worthwhile compiling an alphabetic list if you are after getting recommendations.

Wouldn't know where to start if i were to list them, nor would i get all of the ones's i've seen.

edit: although i notice that neither of the two 'extremes' i listed are on your list, both good films :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Toran of Malveel on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:45 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote: alphabetic list

Alphabetic list of fantasy movies is good idea, but I think that chronological order is better, though I don't know how it's better. :wacky:
Toran of Malveel
Red Shirted Trekker

Re: What fantasy movies do you remember?

Postby dinky on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:59 am

stream of consciousness thoughts on the subject...
Toran of Malveel wrote:It seems, in Flesh+Blood was not magic, but IMDb says that it's sword and sorcery.

fantasy is a slippery genre term. it usually (and colloquially?) refers to medieval/ancient fantasy (although they're not necessarily "medieval" but they call on a lot of the preconceptions of the medieval). technically speaking, a hefty chunk of horror, for example, is fantasy (hellraiser, nightmare on elm street, etc.).

I guess "magic" in place of "science" is useful for distinguishing between sci-fi and fantasy, but I think that depends on a very narrow-minded (elitist? restrictive?) use of "science."

case in point: LotR is fantasy fare par excellence, but the "magic" involved is actually "science" and is no more fantastical than an x-wing blowing the hell out of the death star. INDIANA JONES

my favorite medieval fantasies are ARMY OF DARKNESS and PRINCESS BRIDE. HOLY GRAIL as well. LotR, of course, you'll have heard of that for sure.

I've seen most of the stuff on your list, and I won't say I don't like it, but at the same time, it's not very good. if you're a genre junkie. BEAST MASTER (1st one) and SWORD AND THE SORCEROR are prolly the most like the CONANS and WILLOW, if you liked them. KULL is also styled after CONAN.

ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND, BEING JOHN MALKOVICH, and ADAPTATION are all what I would consider good fantasy movies. there's "magic," but it's not medievalizing and SUNSHINE may be considered by sci-fi while others wouldn't consider ADAPTATION fantasy at all (just fruity).

DARK CRYSTAL and LABYRINTH are missing from your list. they're traditional fantasy fare (jim henson puppet vehicles).

edit:fantasy is too large a barrel to work with, but if I narrow it down to arthurian legend stuff, this might be useful. I haven't seen all of the movies imdb will produce for you for arthur, but I can tell you some to avoid:

GUINEVERE (1994) (TV)

MISTS OF AVALON - I guess the book is supposed to be good. the tv miniseries was a sleeper

KING ARTHUR (2004) - not in the class of the previous two but then...this thing was a major motion picture, not some budgetless tv miniseries.

LAST LEGION (2007) - horrid tripe. I can't believe this made it to theaters. worse than the other stuff written for TV.

SWORD IN THE STONE (1963) - classic disney stuff. about as close as hollywood has gotten to the ONCE AND FUTURE KING type of story.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Toran of Malveel on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:52 am

I think that Star Wars and Highlander franchises can consider fantasy too.

Because Star Wars universe has the Force - analogue of sorcery, imho.

And Highlander universe has Immortals - impossible thing for our reality.
Nickname from The Archer: Fugitive from the Empire, but avatar is Crow from Hawk the Slayer.
Toran of Malveel
Red Shirted Trekker

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal