Brazil (1985) (US Theatrical Version)

Verified - Rare sci-fi movies from TV, VHS, LaserDisc, or lower quality source. Also a place for lower quality rips.

Moderator: Movie Mods

Brazil (1985) (US Theatrical Version)

Postby hrgiger on Tue May 13, 2008 2:57 am

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088846/

"My god, it works!"

Here is something for you - a nice quality LD rip of the US theatrical cut. Never released on DVD and never released in widescreen. I have seen on the web supposed lists of the differences between this cut, the UK, and the Director's but they are not complete by any means. There are many more changes. This movie IMHO has omissions that result in a much better pace (mostly small changes between scenes - when Sam enters in to see Jack, etc.) And more mystery, some crucial elements were told before hand in other versions ruining suspense.

Also many scenes contain more material top and bottom than the widescreen versions. Apparently they chopped off the top and bottom of this version to make some of the widescreen scenes.

English
X264/AAC (mkv container)
704*480 (4:3 Fullscreen)
131 min

Brazil.1985.US.Theatrical.Cut.LDrip.x264.AAC.hrgiger.CD1.mkv
Brazil.1985.US.Theatrical.Cut.LDrip.x264.AAC.hrgiger.CD2.mkv

[ Add all 2 links to your ed2k client ]
Last edited by hrgiger on Tue May 13, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hrgiger
Skutter

Postby zaphod777 on Tue May 13, 2008 4:11 am

Interesting :wacky: Thanks!!
zaphod777
Skutter

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue May 13, 2008 2:21 pm

how is this different from the Love Conquer's All version?

edit:
Thought so, this is available on DVD now, the laserdisc only is not been true for quite some years now:

The Criterion LaserDisc and DVD version contains both the Sheinberg/TV/"love conquers all" version and what Terry Gilliam believes to be the "final director's cut" (142 minutes). The Universal "bare-bones" DVD contains only the longer version (though it is misidentified on the DVD cover as the American cut)."

I have the Criterion DVD box set and I have the DVD version of both the director's cut and Love Conquers All version (dvd quality).

There's a 1cd DVDrip of the crap cut floating around, I would recommend buying the boxset:
http://www.amazon.com/Brazil-Criterion- ... 662&sr=8-1
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby hrgiger on Tue May 13, 2008 3:34 pm

This IS NOT AT ALL the same as the Love conquers all cut. NOT EVEN CLOSE! This IS the cut that all american moviegoers saw. The Love conquers all is a piece of crap that was edited for television. It was never seen in theaters and was only released as part of The Criterion Collection! The Criterion Collection was originally a 10 side laserdisc set which later became the 3 dvd set (or poorman's 1 dvd version.) This is the US Theatrical Cut - as seen in theaters. This is where the re-introduced clouds at the beginning that showed up on the Criterion director's cut came from. This is the original that opens with the clouds AND closes with the clouds.

For shame you would confuse this with the Love conquers all rubbish...

The Universal "bare-bones" DVD contains only the longer version (though it is misidentified on the DVD cover as the American cut)."

And this IS NOT the Universal dvd release. This is the MCA release of the US Theatrical Cut. The universal release was a the director's cut. This cut was only released on VHS and Laserdisc. This is the 131 min cut. Any reference to this being available on a legitimate dvd is wrong. I personally have viewed the universal and criterion releases. This is different.

There are four different cuts of this movie: a European theatrical cut, the U.S. theatrical version, the television syndication cut, and the Criterion edition's director's cut. I know that I've seen the U.S. theatrical version (which I think is the only one that has the "My God, it works!" line—although the TV version does have Sam say, "My gosh, it works") but I don't know where I might have seen it. Maybe on a 16mm print in college; it's also possible that the VHS version was this cut. It's not available on DVD, though; the Universal DVD is the same cut and transfer as the Criterion edition, but without any of the extras. So we'll all have to wait for the twenty-five disc definitive Criterion reissue to see that version again.

- from http://criterioncollection.blogspot.com/2006/03/51-brazil.html

This one has "My God, it works!" Not "My Gosh, it works" (love conquers all cut.)

To prove it to yourself - Look at the end of any cut you have when the credits start and compare it to the last screenshot above. You do not have this cut.
Last edited by hrgiger on Wed May 14, 2008 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
hrgiger
Skutter

Postby digitalgodd on Tue May 13, 2008 11:23 pm

I like Brazil...I think I will check this version out, I have see the others...
digitalgodd
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby weezee on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:43 am

Well, now I'm curious too about this version :beerchug:
Image Image Image Image
Time & Magik
weezee
Having trouble with tribbles

Return to Lower Quality section