Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Postby Blade Runner on Tue May 25, 2004 3:34 am

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)

Genre: Sci-Fi / Thriller / Adventure

Directed by: Kerry Conran
Writing credits: Kerry Conran

Credited cast:
Jude Law .... Sky Captain
Angelina Jolie .... Capt. Franky Cook
Gwyneth Paltrow .... Polly Perkins
Giovanni Ribisi .... Dex

Plot
Set in New York City circa 1939, the film centers on a reporter who notices that the world's scientists are disappearing. Teamed with a skilled pilot and an adventurous colleague, it's up to her to thwart the plans of a mad scientist bent on world domination.

Click to view trailer

Anyone recognise the Theme tune on the trailer

AJ's been busy recently

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0001401/

This is one I'm looking forward to this summer
Last edited by Blade Runner on Tue May 25, 2004 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby barry on Tue May 25, 2004 3:39 am

It's from Stargate isn't it. Jerry Goldsmith's work I think.
barry
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby mw2merc on Tue May 25, 2004 3:52 am

Yes, it is. This one looks like it will be good. Would be better w/o AJ. I can't stand her since the stupid BoobRaider movie.
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Blade Runner on Tue May 25, 2004 3:54 am

mw2merc wrote:Yes, it is. This one looks like it will be good. Would be better w/o AJ. I can't stand her since the stupid BoobRaider movie.

You have to admit though, she was the only one to could pull it off well. TR is my fav all time game and I cant imagine anyone better to play the role.
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby Jynks on Tue May 25, 2004 12:05 pm

I want to see this but I am thinking it is going to be a very bad movie... aparently it is shot almost entirly on green screen and it has the starwars ep1-3 style directing were the actors are completly 2ndary to the effects.

Still giant robots flatning cities? Ya gota go see it eh?

I heard there was also a Transformer live actrion and Neo Evangellion live action getting done at wingnut...
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby mw2merc on Wed May 26, 2004 1:19 am

I've heard of the Live NGE, but not Live TF. I think both would flop if they do them. Just the trying to use CG & RL is a hard sell.
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Thu May 27, 2004 3:58 am

looks pretty stupid to me. Pearl Harbor without the benefit of a built-in emotional connection with the audience.

:eatthis:

and that's no compliment for the gawd awful PH "movie"
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Thu May 27, 2004 4:23 am

benefit of a built-in emotional connection with the audience.

HUH?
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby mw2merc on Thu May 27, 2004 7:09 am

dinky wrote:without the benefit of a built-in emotional connection with the audience.

Yeah, WTF is that???
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Blade Runner on Thu May 27, 2004 1:26 pm

Bai Ling, who plays the black-clad, martial-arts-fighting "Mysterious Woman" in the upcoming Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, told SCI FI Wire that her costume was so tight that she couldn't move. The crew tailored Ling's ultra-sleek costume to eliminate all wrinkles, rendering her virtually immobile, she said in an interview at the Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention. When they were done, she tried to move. "I couldn't. ... The leather wouldn't [move]. So they had to remake it and make it bigger, ... but still in the end, [it was] very tight." After spending a day in the costume, Ling said, "I felt like a wild animal, like a caged animal. ... [I was] really suffering in the suit."

For Sky Captain, which combines live actors with computer-generated environments, Ling and the rest of the cast�?
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Thu May 27, 2004 3:14 pm

Jynks wrote:
benefit of a built-in emotional connection with the audience.

HUH?

Pearl Harbor was a historical event - it has an emotional relationship with viewers right from the get-go (particularly americans). usually it's a tragic thing. the movie was tepid, but just the fact that it was about...well...Pearl Harbor establishes a relationship with the audience that a movie-goer can be like "yeah. ok. I identify with this" without ever seeing the movie, before going into it. Sky Captain looks a lot like PH to me - I get the same nauseous feeling watching the preview without the connection to a lived experience (ww2).

my second impression of SC is PH crossbred with Iron Giant.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby mw2merc on Thu May 27, 2004 5:17 pm

OK, that makes sense now.
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby mw2merc on Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:04 pm

Oh, before the Stargate theme, anyone recognize the intro music? I believe it's from Batman, and whatever other movies it's been used in.
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:58 am

i saw a trailer for this in a paycheck dvdr i downloaded off BT, thought it looked pretty good despite having a triplet of awful things as the leads, but i hate AJ, JL and GP, i refuse to accept them as actor/ess's
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal