Ideas of Matrix & Terminator stolen ?

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Ideas of Matrix & Terminator stolen ?

Postby hagbard on Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:25 pm

http://www.slccglobelink.com/news/2004/ ... 5067.shtml

Monday, October 4th 2004 ended a six-year dispute involving Sophia Stewart, the Wachowski Brothers, Joel Silver and Warner Brothers. Stewart's allegations, involving copyright infringement and racketeering, were received and acknowledged by the Central District of California, Judge Margaret Morrow residing.

Stewart, a New Yorker who has resided in Salt Lake City for the past five years, will recover damages from the films, The Matrix I, II and III, as well as The Terminator and its sequels. She will soon receive one of the biggest payoffs in the history of Hollywood, as the gross receipts of both films and their sequels total over 2.5 billion dollars.

Stewart filed her case in 1999, after viewing the Matrix, which she felt had been based on her manuscript, "The Third Eye," copyrighted in 1981. In the mid-eighties Stewart had submitted her manuscript to an ad placed by the Wachowski Brothers, requesting new sci-fi works.

According to court documentation, an FBI investigation discovered that more than thirty minutes had been edited from the original film, in attempt to avoid penalties for copyright infringement. The investigation also stated that "credible witnesses employed at Warner Brothers came forward, claiming that the executives and lawyers had full knowledge that the work in question did not belong to the Wachowski Brothers." These witnesses claimed to have seen Stewart's original work and that it had been "often used during preparation of the motion pictures."
The defendants tried, on several occasions, to have Stewart's case dismissed, without success.

Stewart has confronted skepticism on all sides, much of which comes from Matrix fans, who are strangely loyal to the Wachowski Brothers. One on-line forum, entitled Matrix Explained has an entire section devoted to Stewart. Some who have researched her history and writings are open to her story. Others are suspicious and mocking. "It doesn't bother me," said Stewart in a phone interview last week, "I always knew what was true."

Some fans, are unaware of the case or they question its legitimacy, due to the fact that it has received little to no media coverage. Though the case was not made public until October of 2003, Stewart has her own explanation, as quoted at daghettotymz.com:

"The reason you have not seen any of this in the media is because Warner Brothers parent company is AOL-Time Warner... this GIANT owns 95 percent of the media... let me give you a clue as to what they own in the media business... New York Times papers/magazines, LA Times papers/magazines, People Magazine, CNN news, Extra, Celebrity Justice, Entertainment Tonight, HBO, New Line Cinema, Dreamworks, Newsweek, Village Roadshow... many, many more!... They are not going to report on themselves. They have been surpressing my case for years..."
hagbard
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:44 pm

hehe, already replied to the topic at fh.org. The title was "now who to blame for The Matix?"

spudthedestroyer wrote:Definitely not her, she got fucked over and crap films cloned from her idea (albeit a well established one). I mean if the Terminator is involved in this, that film is pretty good :)

Quite clearly, it explains why the sequels to the matrix were such utter crap, they had nothing to steal from so had to rely on ... erm... well I'm sure people have seen them.

Would explain the Wachowski Brother's flat out refusal to do commentries (see any maxtrix DVD box set reviews).

Hollywood was founded on piracy, this doesn't suprise me in the slightest.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby John_Doe on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:03 am

but... wasn't it all ripped from Colossus - The Forbin Project, anywho?

And then what about that 13th Floor, or Dark City?
Ahh.. no offence, but you are a robot, aren't you?
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:20 am

John_Doe wrote:but... wasn't it all ripped from Colossus - The Forbin Project, anywho?

And then what about that 13th Floor, or Dark City?

she never handed the directors her script on a silver platter in these cases.

I think the matrix case for plagarism is overwhelming. Take a look at a scene by scene comparison with dark city, even the fact it uses the same sets and that's one act of plagarism. The hours of footage cut out and the employee testomonies is the second count of plagarism and the whole things also apparantly a rip off of a comic book too I hear.

These people deserve to get sued to buggery for a change, see how they like it :matrix:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:49 am

:lol:
13th Floor? you can't be serious. ok ok. just because it was one of the last of those distopian cyber-clones (matrix, equilibrium, 13th floor, existenz - feel as if I'm forgetting something here) doesn't necessarily mean IT was the knock-off. but I would like to point out that 13th Floor (which I kinda liked) - laugh, giggle, try in vain to withold laughter - was a dean devlin/roland emmerich movie (actually just emmrich this time as producer - god knows he can't direct). they are the kings</i> of unoriginal film making (ID4, Godzilla, Day After Tomorrow). granted, it wasn't a produce, write & direct combo that sinks most of their crap. but I have a hard time taking anything they do in any serious way as *not* being derivitive.

:rofl:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby d0c on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:56 pm

its fucking ripped from every where the idiots cant make up new ideas anymore :evil:
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Postby John_Doe on Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:08 pm

but am I right in asuming Colosus - The Forbin Project was the first one?
Ahh.. no offence, but you are a robot, aren't you?
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Postby d0c on Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:46 pm

yup
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal