The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:16 pm

fucking lazy arse writers, stupid lazy arse tv execs, stupid lazy arse americans, stupid fucking lazy gay arse america
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby MyK on Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:21 pm

If that's true than it just proves they're making the story up as they see it fit each ep at the time and don't have any blue print on which to build the story further. Would explain a whole lot why we had to endure those incredibly daft beginning of season 2 eps and doesn't show a lot of promise for the season finale IMO. The story is still all over the place and there's only one ep to pack it all up in a meaningful conclusion :? Reminds me of "Invasion"... but I really hope I'm wrong here, I've already backed up most of the series in 720p and that's a lot of DVDs wasted if it proves to be worth a shite in the end :(
"The products suck! There's no sex in them anymore!" (Steve Jobs)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby MyK on Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:11 pm

Watched "Civic Duty" and it's a decent thriller. Some say it's controversial but I don't see it that way at all as the ending can be interpreted either way IMO. Anyway, I wouldn't want to spoil it if you haven't watched it yet. The cast is descent with some quite good actors and the story is fluid without any major inconsistencies in it. It's not long running at around 90 minutes and it keeps you guessing till the very end, possibly even after it's finished, so - recommended ;)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:22 am

maxpayne2409 wrote:oh, so basically they are rushing to a conclusion? or jsut hoping it's sorted by after the christmas holiday that all shows take?

yes and no. they shot two versions originally or a while ago. that was the extent to which any</i> studio felt necessary to do to protect the "storylines" of their currently airing shows. (most full season shows, 22-24 eps(?), are designed with a midseason climax anyway) the more thorough plan was to pad their line-ups with tons of reality and gameshow fodder. a better plan would have been to cut actor's salaries and respect the people whose work you abuse the shit out of like some R & D researcher at General Electric.

as for underworld comparison (btw, I think mentioning underworld's ending out loud completely spoils the 30 Days ending, shitty as it may be). but here we go: vampires wreck all sorts of havoc in the human world and go to great lengths to remain "secret." they're both quite stylized (but as spud notes, in very different ways - except for the whole leather(?) duster thing). and the real money shot that was almost identical to "blunderworld" (hey, is that for the blue filter or just general dislike of the movie?): dude mixes his blood to become superhuman so that he can fight the great big uber villain vampire. it's typical comic book stuff, but I didn't feel like 30 Days was some comic book or action fantasy until that moment. yeah, the crane shot was cool. :twisted: you also have to consider that underworld is relatively recent, so even though it's an inferior movie, it's likely that the ending would remind viewers of it. and now I'm prolly really going to annoy you more, but the VERY LAST SCENE was pretty much a frame-for-frame copy of the Blade 2 ending (which really is a typical superhero comic). :wacky:

edit:
MyK wrote:If that's true than it just proves they're making the story up as they see it fit each ep at the time and don't have any blue print on which to build the story further. Would explain a whole lot why we had to endure those incredibly daft beginning of season 2 eps and doesn't show a lot of promise for the season finale IMO. The story is still all over the place and there's only one ep to pack it all up in a meaningful conclusion :? Reminds me of "Invasion"... but I really hope I'm wrong here, I've already backed up most of the series in 720p and that's a lot of DVDs wasted if it proves to be worth a shite in the end :(

unfortunately, I don't think that's the case. they did plan out that train wreck of a s2 season start. (not wanting it to be a train wreck, of course) my experience is limited, mostly to sci-fi series, but the real "masterminds" (usually the exec producer/creator, tim kring in this case) usually plot out the entire season (the major plot arcs and the number of eps or moves they need to make to facilitate that plan). usually, that's 10-15 full eps (most seasons are 22 eps long) so there's a lot of filler that they have absolutely no plan for. that's mostly where the "hired gun" writers come in. although the writers will also be given the responsibility for scripting the minutiae of at least half of the "planned" eps also.

this applies to buffy, angel, smallville, veronica mars and a few other shows I can't remember. but I'm fairly certain it's a common practice for those "full season" dramas. erm...beast machines was like that too - except it was exceptional for being much more focused than the normal "full season"
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:44 pm

dexter and then brotherhood s2 finale. dexter was good. brotherhood was really good. wish to hell it wasn't over. :? guess that means they're doing something right.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:09 pm

so is the who writers moaning bitch thing the reason why there was no smallville last week?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:07 pm

according to spud's list, they have 7 eps left. I imagine they're trying to milk them. tbh, I thought they were skipping one week for thanksgiving, but the week after was a repeat of the season premier. so iunno wtf they're up to.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:37 pm

what is brotherhood?
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:47 pm

@jynks - it's like a team building male bonding weekend but with less paintball
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby MyK on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:27 am

gritty :lol:

As I gather it should be quite the opposite tho if IMDB users' reviews are to be trusted. There's one guy that describes it as a crossbreed of "The Wire" and "The Sopranos" only even darker (in a grim sense).

Set in an Irish neighbourhood in Providence, the series reflects around two brothers on opposite sides of the law: one a gangster (Jason Isaacs) and the other a politician (Jason Clarke).

I might give it a try if there are HD rips floating on the net ;)

"Death At A Funeral" - not a complete disaster but fails to deliver in so many ways I would only recommend it to east German housewives. There's male nudity in it and I wish I was warned of that before cuz the last thing I wished for was that utterly inappropriate thought hanging on my mind that his arse was kinda cute (from a completely heterosexual standpoint that is :mrgreen:).

Also watching 8/10 Cats and am nearing the end of the season before last ... t's good with some laugh out loud bits but I really really hate those (tho occasional) associations with BB.
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:51 am

the series reflects around two brothers on opposite sides of the law: one a gangster (Jason Isaacs) and the other a politician (Jason Clarke).
:lol:

Shrek.The.Halls.HDTV.720p.x264-CtrlHD
:wink:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:21 am

watched soylent green again last night, i still love that film

Got the 5disc blade runner set that was released a few days ago, so got all that to watch
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:20 pm

5 discs??? what the hell is on it?
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby MyK on Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:24 pm

i think it's the ultimate collector's edition we've been talking about some time ago. I've pre-ordered it but have not received it as of yet and amazon states 12/18 as availability date: http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-Five ... 823&sr=1-1 but that's prolly due to it being also available on BD and HD-DVD. I've ordered BD and do hope i'll still get it in that wicked looking BR briefcase (the sticker on the pic of it says DVD tho :wacky:)...

Visually spectacular, intensely action-packed and powerfully prophetic since its debut, Blade Runner returns in Ridley Scott's definitive Final Cut, including extended scenes and never-before-seen special effects. In a signature role as 21st-century detective Rick Deckard, Harrison Ford brings his masculine-yet-vulnerable presence to this stylish noir thriller. In a future of high-tech possibility soured by urban and social decay, Deckard hunts for fugitive, muderous replicants - and is drawn to a mystery woman whose secrets may undermine his soul. This spectacular 5-Disc Set includes all five version of the legendary Sci-Fi film from Director Ridley Scott - the definitive Final Cut with all new 5.1 audio, three additional versions of the film, and the rare Work Print version - in addition to the in-depth feature length documentary "Dangerous Days", and one complete disc of bonus content including over 80-minutes of never-before-seen deleted scenes. The Ultimate Collector's Edition is packaged in a limited edition, numbered "Deckard" briefcase and features rare and collectable memorabilia such as a Spinner car replica, Unicorn figurine, Illustration and Photo cards, and a lenticular Motion Film Clip in lucite. This is the ultimate collection that no fan should be without! Also available in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Disc.

Fingers crossed it gets here before xmas :wink:
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:45 pm

heroes was surprisingly pretty good. there were so many (largely) unconnected stories going on, that I was really nervous that 45 mins would be far too little time. and don't get me wrong, the significant stuff would have worked out a lot better with the extra time. but I have to say I'm relatively satisfied with how it went, albeit obviously rushed. I also think adam's fall from grace from medieval japan to the present day could have been a really epic story along the lines of buffy having to kill angel the second he regains his soul in s2.

life first of two new eps this week. next one is wed. still enjoying it.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:22 pm

@blade runner
i'm going to order the HD-DVD, should be much better than the bluray.

Region free too, don't need to worry about region coding although i don't think blade runner is.

Bluray is really, really bad for horror or cult movie fans.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:31 pm

*purchased*

My first high definition purchase, HD-DVD chosen :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby MyK on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:13 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:Bluray is really, really bad for horror or cult movie fans.

Why? :? It's gonna have the same content on it than HD-DVD but is clearly more advanced tech with scratch-proof coated discs that will last you longer and more space to put all those extras in highest possible quality. It's not like they'll region protect BD and not HD-DVD and plain DVDs as well. That'd be just silly and would prolly require of them to sell it separately as a different product wouldn't it? And latest BD specs allow for way more advanced features like in movie advertising :P :lol:
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:17 am

he jsut prefers HD-DVD coz he's a xbox fanboy, if he was a sony fanboy he would be bumhumping bluray as the best.
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:00 am

I guess we'll have to wait for him to weigh in, but I've always seen him as a nintendo fanboy.

sony never had anything in the same league as xbmc, so of course he likes that.

saw a bluray/HD-dvd player at best buy today for $699. fucking tools. and directly across from that shelf of players that were collecting dust was a fresh holiday inventory of 32" lcd HD displays for $599. I had a good chuckle at the fact that the disc player now actually costs more than the HD display. I mean, it's not the standard price for either piece of equipment and the player was high end whereas the displays were dynex, westinghouse, vizio, and oleiva, but I still got a kick out of the irony of juxtaposing an insanely expensive player that costs more than the equally new, high tech display. :lol:

now, I know this was mentioned before, but I forget the actual reason: why is HD-DVD so much better for horror? just the line of titles? or something with the ratings and disc production, was it? like sony will only burn "rated" discs? am I missing something else that's important there?

edit: forgot the reason I came on here...just got back from enchanted. was ok. had trouble staying awake. not a good sign. but I have been overtired lately. anyway...it's a disney movie so you can't expect it to truly live up to its potential. for being what it was, it was decent. you won't miss anything if you skip it. it's one of those "I'm being post-modern" movies that is only "post-modern" insofar as "post-modern" is actually popular culture of the moment - so it's a bit like being a "liberal republican" :lol:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

PreviousNext

Return to General