Firefly - Serenity Trailer

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Firefly - Serenity Trailer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:12 am

New trailer for the movie:
http://movies.apple.com/movies/universa ... y_ifs2.mov

I'm not a particular fan of the series to be frank. I found it to be weak in most departments but some people found it very appealing and original (although i can't find any of them, it was okay i guess).

Enjoy.
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 4397
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:47 pm
Location: Royal Britannia

Postby <insert> on Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:10 pm

:) yeah I know what you mean, 'twas ok, a bit different


thanks for sharing the trailer.

I might check out the movie if I get the chance - "from the maker of Buffy" isn't a selling point for me tho ' :D
Slowly Building the Subterranean Internet Movie Database

News Feeds for my Lastest Finds: >> [ed2k] [BT] [NZB]
HOWTO's: rss > bt > ed2k > usenet

User avatar
<insert>
The Ninth Passenger
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:22 am
Location: Out here on the perimeter ...

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:59 pm

Well that trailer was okay, except its obvious its buffy mark 2 (or angel S5 take 2) since it has an uber chick in it and the same kind of fighting/talking. Then again, probably that's why its popular.

Looked entertaining from the trailer and the SFX were nice, just hope the next
trailer doesn't say "From the writer of Alien 4" :-o
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 4397
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:47 pm
Location: Royal Britannia

Postby Jynks on Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:01 am

nothing like a buffy in it at all.... that bit in the clip looked way outa palce to me compared to wat was in the TV show.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
User avatar
Jynks
Modding the Machine
 
Posts: 1857
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:16 am

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:18 pm

nothing like a buffy in it at all....


You mean the series? Hell yes it is, the same fubling dialog and the "uber chick" storyline was about to kick into effect when the show got axed. Its very Josh Whedon/Buffy to me... i'm not saying its identical, but they are very similar in approach and definitely in the style of dialog. Although admitedly, he's cropped some of the teen banter from Buffy.

If you mean the film, I think the trailer looked even more like buffy the vampire slayer than the tv series did. The buffy the vampire slayer chick never really did anything but it was only a couple of episodes long, it would have turned more and more into buffy... you must have seen it coming deep down? If you look at the trailer you can see what i'm getting at.

So i disagree, firefly the series did have a lot in common with buffy, although luckily it didn't have chance to implement it to any great degree. It was more different than angel was obviously, but i don't think overly. Given a complete series i think the thing would have more comparisons that you'd like to admit... which is unfortunate if you don't like buffy.
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 4397
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:47 pm
Location: Royal Britannia

Postby dinky on Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:42 pm

well, I think the series had more in common with Angel than Buffy, given the fact that the lead is an Angel clone</i>. the dialogue is very buffy-like, as is that in Angel, but the characters are no longer in high school, so yeah...less teen banter. still the same speech patterns though: "I'm feeling the kind of love that isn't" or "not so much lovin' that idea." it's not really a question of angel/buffy: it has <I>JOSS</i> whedon stamped all over it.

I think spud's getting a bit too reductive by saying it's turning into buffy with the supergirl arc though. I mean, did you say Angel</i> turned into Buffy</i> when connor was born & joined the gang? cuz it's the same thing. I think you're letting the gender of "the chosen one" kinda blind you to that dynamic in all three series</i>. and have you ever noticed that these uber-powerful characters lose that status as soon as the climax of that particular arc occurs (think willow as witch, dawn as the key, buffy, the master, spike, "the big bad" on angel, angel himself when he goes bad on buffy). and the fact that firefly</i> wasn't centered around one particular character (ala buffy</i> & angel</i>) should imply that she was not going to take over and turn the series into another buffy</i>. he must have had something in mind for the preacher, and I must say, I'm very curious as to what it was. i doubt it will crop up in the movie, however, because that is very clearly about keeping the girl from the "bad guys" and likely resolving that arc. yes, she has a central role on the series because she's the reason they're on the run, but the operative word in that sentance is they. they</i> are on the run. her story might be the biggest, but the weight given to other characters is not even close to disproportionate. imo, she's much more like the dawn character on buffy</i> than the buffy character.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
User avatar
dinky
"Beyond Simple"
 
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:00 am

Postby Jynks on Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:10 pm

Buffy and Angel were MILES from firfly.. sure it had some simular things in it.... it WAS written by the same guy so you gotta expect some simular humor / way of talking etc etc.

I think firefly was superiour to buffy and angle by far. A lot mroe adult. IMO.

Dinky is right in saying that there are no central charicters in firefly... nothing had been set buy then it was a mich more free place to write I would think. The problem with shows like Buffy and Angel is that they HAVE TO BE ABOUT buffy or Angel!!
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
User avatar
Jynks
Modding the Machine
 
Posts: 1857
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:16 am

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:26 am

I always wonder why we always end up comparing things, but it boils down to abstract similarities and trying to place and describe the series. However, with whedon... i think the thrust of the matter is all his stuff is the same :lol:

I've said in the past that buffy and angel aren't really the same show, but the writing is the same kind of writing, just in a different font.

I mean, did you say Angel turned into Buffy when connor was born & joined the gang?


Kinda actually, it definitely turned really gay and shitty. It was a lot more like buffy then than before, and a really tacky reworking of that dawn shit...
Yeah its fair to say angel turned into more of a buffy clone at that point... more than it ever had been before.

imo, she's much more like the dawn character on buffy than the buffy character.


Another bit that sucked in buffy, nearly as bad as that whole connor lame duck above. You've just mentioned the shittest parts of both shows... well that and the whole army shit in buffy. That was so gay.

A lot mroe adult


LOL... please! slightly different subjects/issues, fine, its a different setting. Different writing and audience type, hell no. And a lot more? that was what made me smile (smile = LOL in net translation :) )
If you want to take the official channels, if you go on age restriction alone, Angel = 18, Firefly+Buffy = PG/12/15. Angel isn't a lot more adult than buffy, its a lot more violent, but not a lot more adult. So that doesn't play for me, but besides the fact because all three of them are immature, and it stems down to what you said... its all written by one guy, and all his shit has been the same way through his entire career. The only thing I've seen that seems substantially different to the rest is the buffy movie, and that bites so hard its beyond irony its about vampires. I don't think spaceships are anymore mature than monsters either, both aren't really adult unless you have a writer who's writing for that audience behind it all.

He dragged Alien through it, thats f*cking shitty buffy style dialog in a place where it should never have been. Notice ripley was the uber chick there surrounded by 2d 'dead inside' space pirate characters. Sounds awfully familiar when you summarise it skeptically like that... :roll:

:lol:

The brunt of the matter is for me, not a single series of Joss Whedon is a mile away from the other, firefly and angel might have a tad more in common, but angel isn't very far from buffy at all. The dialogue is the same, the style and young teen audience + is the same, the difference is slight tweak to tone basic character templates (he worked harder on Firefly here, admitedly they've fanned out a lot more, it was a lot more durable and open kinda... without the captain its not really worth squat though from what i saw) and setting, and dick all else. Firefly's lifted a lot from all the other spaceship pilot in space shows, but you can't really get past the writing imo. Buffy was more quirkly, angel was more violent and less quirky at first, and firefly was both of them, in the wild west, in space... perhaps even less quirky.

So ultimately, i don't rate him as a good writer, or at least atm he's only ever been a one trick pony for me.

All elementry as to whether Firefly would have changed into another clone, since it only had 7 episodes, but i can't believe any of them are miles away. We'll have to wait out and see how much like Buffy the film is and reflect back. You might have liked it miles better of course.

I dunno, think what you like, but forgive me if i scoff at the 'adult' comment jynks. Young adult aka. young teenager+ perhaps :mrgreen: You can pick out a (what?) 7 episode run or however many there were of firefly from buffy and across buffy's lifespan you'd be able to get more 'adult' ones. Like that fucked up rape shit in series 7 or whatever it was. Or some of the censored/banned angel episodes where he cuts the shit out of all those monsters or whatever they were. I don't have much trust that firefly would have not had light fluffy uber chic episodes in with a complete series. Infact, in the few episodes it had, there were some very dry western episodes it could have done without which was another reason i didn't take to it at all. I only saw the buffys because it was something a bit new at the time, and then angel split early on so i watched that. When firefly came around it unfortunately had no draw, same old shit :(

Aside: My little sister (11) loves Buffy and Angel... she also plays with dolls and all the stuff little mad'aams do... so much for maturity ;) The only reason she has never heard of Firefly is because besides sucking up the place, it got cancelled after a couple of episodes, and little toy spaceships are for 11 year old boys ;)

Long post to say what everyone knows deep down most likely, I enjoy long posts especially if i insult someones momma or opinions... dinky, yo momma :wacky:

ps. I know whedon certainly didn't write every episode of all 3 series, but it seems pretty clear that the problem I have might be with the foundations here.
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 4397
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:47 pm
Location: Royal Britannia

Postby dinky on Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:22 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:I dunno, think what you like, but forgive me if i scoff at the 'adult' comment jynks. Young adult aka. young teenager+ perhaps :mrgreen: You can pick out a (what?) 7 episode run or however many there were of firefly from buffy and across buffy's lifespan you'd be able to get more 'adult' ones. Like that fucked up rape shit in series 7 or whatever it was. Or some of the censored/banned angel episodes where he cuts the shit out of all those monsters or whatever they were. I don't have much trust that firefly would have not had light fluffy uber chic episodes in with a complete series. Infact, in the few episodes it had, there were some very dry western episodes it could have done without which was another reason i didn't take to it at all. I only saw the buffys because it was something a bit new at the time, and then angel split early on so i watched that. When firefly came around it unfortunately had no draw, same old shit :(

Aside: My little sister (11) loves Buffy and Angel... she also plays with dolls and all the stuff little mad'aams do... so much for maturity ;) The only reason she has never heard of Firefly is because besides sucking up the place, it got cancelled after a couple of episodes, and little toy spaceships are for 11 year old boys ;)

I think you severely underrate buffy</i> by dismissing it with the young adult label. yes, its following is/was tweenagers and teenagers. it is, after all, a high school drama. teenager issues and anxieties. it doesn't, however, treat them like scholastic after school specials. it's not the same thing as "young adult fiction" novels (which, incidentally, the buffy books are). those things are severely retarded and preachy. iunno. I see a big difference there. buffy complicated high school rather than simplifying it, which is what the "young adult" label does.

about the three series being basically the same thing: yes. no doubt. although buffy did evolve (unfortunately - it was always at its best in hs but as the saying goes 'you can never go home again')
Life ducks, and you sigh.
User avatar
dinky
"Beyond Simple"
 
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:00 am

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:29 pm

hey i watched them all, i'm not dismissing it or anything... but its hardly adult, its a young adult +... don't forget the + i mentioned. I say that cos i know someone in their 40s that watches it :lol:

Its just very simple storylines and associations, its not really a adult program in my view, its for the E4 crowd.

That's not a bad thing really, it doesn't really matter, but its really dumb and is definitely marketed at the young teen crowd more than anything. The only way firefly prevented this was making it a proper 'space' scifi show... and infact imo this was why it died on its ass so quicklyl, and these are generally watched by a family to older crowd (old school demographics if you will :lol: ) . I'm pretty certain demographics will show the primary audience is young teen, however that doesn't matter, I was talking about the intelligence and style of writing rather than demographics.

Angel went the other way to buffy, started broody, then went into a buffy clone, then it went weird in the last series, it seemed more of a serial/freak of the week show a lot of the time, even though that's pretty much how they all went before it. Dunno why it seemed that way.
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 4397
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:47 pm
Location: Royal Britannia

Postby Jynks on Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:20 pm

I think mabey you have seen way to many things spud.... firfly has NOTHING to do with buffy. Sure there are some simular things in the writting... but you sound like my brother, (another very well "watched" person eg seam almost everything under the sun) IIn that when he is talking about somthing it HAS to be related, based on, ripped off, inspired by etc etc etc. And it dosn't.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
User avatar
Jynks
Modding the Machine
 
Posts: 1857
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:16 am

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:05 pm

The problem is, though it doesn't have to be like something else, it really is in this case, and infact all of Whedons writings. There's two that aren't, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, the movie and Toy Story. For the first, it was his first movie and it was troubled. I highly suspect he hadn't thought up his young adult+ market spinner yet since it doesn't have that much in common with anything he's done since. Toy Story had a lot of writers, but i heard he did actually write some of the best scenes from dinky, i don't have anyway of telling if that's true. Here he's not aiming for the same demographic as buffy/angel/firefly though, and if he wrote a lot of Toy Story, then he might want to return to this since it worked very well.

Joss Whedons work, all of it, is pretty much the same, and the problem here is, its joss Whedon's work, undeviated; and its pretty much exactly the same writing caliber, except all of the effect has gone, since buffy and angel did it all when it was something new and appealing.

I don't think he'll even try to market a adult show ever, that will stray from the formula he's used on these 3 shows though. I'd be surprised if he did (pleasantly remains to be seen of course). It might work well for him to develop something a bit less popularist as a template.
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 4397
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:47 pm
Location: Royal Britannia

Postby dinky on Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:16 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote: Toy Story had a lot of writers, but i heard he did actually write some of the best scenes from dinky, i don't have anyway of telling if that's true. Here he's not aiming for the same demographic as buffy/angel/firefly though, and if he wrote a lot of Toy Story, then he might want to return to this since it worked very well.

if you go for the macabre stuff, not in a particularly visual sense (although the mutant toys and the a4 mutant stuff was an attempt at the visual). I wasn't wild about toy story one all around and the mutant toys was somewhat extraneous. <a href=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004056/>Andrew Stanton</a> has an impressive writing resume, and along with lasseter, I would guess is responsible for the commercial success and well-roundedness of the movie. buffy is full of those macabre pov themes (as one would expect from what is essentially a broadcast network horror show). anyway, I maintain that xander was the single best portrayal/depiction of young adult male in the history of forever. 8)

BG s1 came with a serenity</i> dvd. any interest in a rip or has it already been done or...? prolly won't watch it otherwise :lol:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
User avatar
dinky
"Beyond Simple"
 
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:00 am

Postby Jynks on Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:29 am

Didn't he also write Alien 4 the Regurgitation?

Spud wrote:aking it a proper 'space' scifi show... <edit>, and these are generally watched by a family to older crowd


I still think that Firfly has a bit of an older edge to it. His other stuff, namly Buff and Angel. Like you said before the "real world" sci fi clicks better with the older sci fi heads already

Dink wrote:xander was the single best portrayal/depiction of young adult male in the history of forever.


Xander reminded me of a pussy whiped version of Ash. In fact I think ash should have made a guest apearence on buffy... lol
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
User avatar
Jynks
Modding the Machine
 
Posts: 1857
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:16 am

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:17 pm

Didn't he also write Alien 4 the Regurgitation?


Yeah, that's one satans going to be working out of his ass for a millenia.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on the whole firefly significantly different thing. Buffy/Angel et al are different enough to give them a chance if you dislike one or another, but not different enough to escape Joss Whedonism, (Whedleesh if you will).

Xander was annoying initially, a pussy later on then he went to the gym it seems. Spike was a more humerous character in the end. All the same kind of humour though really.
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 4397
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:47 pm
Location: Royal Britannia

Postby dinky on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:39 pm

lol

first 2 seasons, xander owned. :wacky: what you refer to as being a pussy, I would say is actually the awkwardness of adolescence. besides, how could you not like "I laugh in the face of danger. then I run and hide until it goes away." when spike came back, xander had already morphed into nothingness cuz they didn't know what to do with him after hs. spike got most of his funny lines.

ps - I hope you're comparing him to bruce campbell's ash and not that fecking pokemon thing.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
User avatar
dinky
"Beyond Simple"
 
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:00 am

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:31 pm

The quote or the attitude. The quote, that was funny, when red dwarf did it ten years before it ;) All the coward jokes, Rimmers done to death :lol:

Plus it funnier and everyone likes rimmer.

Red Dwarf wins. :lol:

I don't dislike his character or anything, i just didn't think he was anything special. Well played perhaps.

lol, you've so got busted on watching pokémon :lol: Oh and i erm... actually i completed the game.... I was bored, it was a shit holiday, don't ask. :lol: Actually the game wasn't so bad.
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 4397
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:47 pm
Location: Royal Britannia

Postby dinky on Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:23 pm

hell no! it used to air on weekdays before batman/superman and on weekends before beast wars/x-men, etc. so I'd tolerate the last five minutes cuz I didn't wanna miss the shows I wanted to see. then when I was student teaching, all the little fuckers had pokemon this and pokemon that. and when I was talking about evil dead, they thought I was talking about pokemon cuz the kid's name is ash, which royally pissed me off cuz that's quite possibly the most annoying show on earth. I couldn't believe kids above the level of teletubbies/barney watched that shite (these were 14 year olds)

same shit happened with digimon and yugioh(?). fecking pokemon clones. could you sink any lower?

/me sighs
Life ducks, and you sigh.
User avatar
dinky
"Beyond Simple"
 
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:00 am

Postby Jynks on Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:00 am

Dinky wrote:I hope you're comparing him to bruce campbell's ash and not that fecking pokemon thing.
Pokemon?? It is pronounced PACMAN
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
User avatar
Jynks
Modding the Machine
 
Posts: 1857
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:16 am

Postby dinky on Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:38 pm

ok...there's like 3 serenity</i> threads in this section alone....

anyway, if you haven't seen the movie...or even if you have...take a gander at this:
http://video.vividas.com/CDN1/3929_Sere ... index.html

:o 8)

edit: it's...umm...legal and only the first scene, so don't get yer hopes up too much.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
User avatar
dinky
"Beyond Simple"
 
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:00 am

Next

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron