Doom the movie

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Doom the movie

Postby <insert> on Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:24 am

Doom (2005)

Millions of devoted fans worldwide have been spellbound by the dark invention of its adventures . . . have awaited its every incarnation with urgent anticipation . . . and have devoted countless hours, days and weeks to conquering its hidden mysteries: Doom.

When the home-computer game "Doom" was first launched in 1993, no one could have foreseen the legion of fans it would create and the mania surrounding its every new permutation. "Doom" and its successive installments have transfixed gamers worldwide for over a decade and have sold millions of copies (while chalking up an unprecedented tens of millions of downloads as shareware). It is, simply, the most explosive home-computer game franchise phenomenon in history.

Now, the game that made history is jumping from computer screens to the motion picture screen: get ready for Doom. Set countless years in the future and told in the hyper- kinetic, kamikaze style that made its gaming predecessor a global phenomenon, the science fiction action adventure Doom takes the viewer to the far corners of the galaxy with a fully-realized vision of a dark and disturbing future.

Doom is directed by Andrzej Bartkowiak (Cradle 2 the Grave). The film is written by Wesley Strick and Dave Callaham, based on the id Software videogame "Doom 3," and is produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura (Constantine) and John Wells (Far From Heaven, White Oleander, television's The West Wing, ER). -- © Universal Pictures

[Official Site]
[Internet Movie DataBase]

Theatrical Release Date: Oct 21, 2005 (Wide)

it's not out yet .... I'm just getting you ready :)
check out the trailer on the website or try links below

doom_trailer_high.mov - 30mb
doom_trailer_low.mov - 16mb

Resident Evil all over again?

<insert>
The Ninth Passenger

Postby El Mariachi on Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:04 pm

No, this one has a smart director and some talent behind the special makeup and mechanical effects.
"Spectacular stunt my friends, but all for not... turn around please, what a pity what a pity." - gay officer in Spaceballs
"It has zombies in it, how can you not give a crap?" - Spud
El Mariachi
The Ninth Passenger

Postby <insert> on Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:49 pm

another different trailer is out

links on this page
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/doom.html

Slowly Building the Subterranean Internet Movie Database

News Feeds for my Lastest Finds: >> [ed2k] [BT] [NZB]
HOWTO's: rss > bt > ed2k > usenet

<insert>
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:56 pm

I would love this movie to rule but I am a little conserned.... This is a film I have always wanted made but now I see it I am thinking that it might have been betetr off in my imagination only.

This movie should be rated "R"... I want to see blood , chainsaw gore.... you name it... I mean the game was called "Kee deep in the dead" for a reason.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby damarofi on Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:48 am

well, Ive seen it and I can say that although its not a master-piece.. its quite enjoyable to watch.
Ive seen worse movies than this!!!
damarofi
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby boromir on Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:22 pm

This was a dissapointment...realy bad movie :( Never any real exitment the monsters looked like some bad mix between the monster in Alien 4 and a sleesbag... in my scale of grade wich is 1-5 this film gets 2...

Martin from Sweden
Have you ever retired a human by mistake?

I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain
boromir
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:22 pm

yeah, not very hot, but it sure wasn't a boll movie :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby wargand on Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:30 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:but it sure wasn't a boll movie :lol:

He is currently working on: PAC MAN -- THE MOVIE. :lol: :lol:
wargand
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby Black on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:23 pm

The real problem is that the film is based on the Doom3 videogame, which just isn't classic Doom, I would have liked to see a Film based on the original back story and game. Still it could have been far worse; watch it, you most likely won't hate it.
[]
Black
Having trouble with tribbles

Postby Jynks on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:47 pm

The real problem is that the film is based on the Doom3 videogame, which just isn't classic Doom

Bang... right on the head, mate. Exactly the problem.. the original hell leaking over, demons etc etc was way moreinteresting.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:50 pm

Jynks wrote:
The real problem is that the film is based on the Doom3 videogame, which just isn't classic Doom

Bang... right on the head, mate. Exactly the problem.. the original hell leaking over, demons etc etc was way moreinteresting.

iunno. I just don't see what's so great about yet another RE clone. :wacky:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:03 pm

why do you keep drawing attention to the fact that you are desperately sad and have never played RE dink?

Its weird, its like shouting out you have embarassing disease or you watch friends :outsider:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Black on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:17 am

Doom is almost the original, RE is just a remake of alone In the dark; it took 5 games to get RE playable, 7 if you count the lightgun games.I still think GW should sue the hell out of id since Doom is an electronic version of Chainsaw Warrior.
[]
Black

Postby dinky on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:19 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:why do you keep drawing attention to the fact that you are desperately sad and have never played RE dink?

I sees the opportunity. I takes it. sometimes, it's at me own expense. I lack the restraint to hold back a good burn. :mrgreen:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:31 am

Black wrote:Doom is almost the original, RE is just a remake of alone In the dark; it took 5 games to get RE playable, 7 if you count the lightgun games.I still think GW should sue the hell out of id since Doom is an electronic version of Chainsaw Warrior.

5? where did the other 1 come from? or are you counting rebirth as a new one? Tis just RE, but with a few changes to plot, major changes to graphics and a new control mechanism.

I dunno, i can't agree with that at all about RE not being playable, 1 and 2 on the psx were awesome at the time, alone in the dark was the same kind of game, but it was really crappy next to RE played much worse, especially the later ones.

I'd rather play RE to doom anyday, doom was so boring, it was the slightest bit not as crap as wolfenstein 3d, but fps didn't get good until much later. Networking was the only saving grace for doom imo, i mean the thing made you car sick and sea sick at the same time, with the mediocre environments and samey gameplay made you want to blow your own brains out.

Back to RE, Nemisis, 3 kinda sucked, 2 wasn't as good as 1 by half, Remake owns 1-3... so much better, and 4 was shit hot and makes them all look crap in comparison. Big change, yet feels just like RE in all ways.

I count 4 games though (the fact the latest has 4 in the title hints at that), if you've never played Rebirth its essentially RE1, but actually f*ckin cool, plays so much better :)

Deadaim and survivor can't really be counted as RE, no more than those shit philips CDI games made by Philips can be counted as Zelda games. :lol:

/me shakes his head at dink
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:40 pm

/me shakes his dink at spud head
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Black on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:49 pm

Well, RE 1 To 3 and Code Veronica (even though it was in 3d) not counting zero, I forgot about the Gameboy one but it doesn't really count; 4 games. Still point taken about 'alone in the dark' not nearly as polished as the resi games.

Never got motion sickness playing doom; never got bored with it really, still play it now and again.

RE4 is fantastic hopefully they'll build on it rather than taking a step back to 2d again like they did after veronica.
[]
Black

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:19 pm

oh man i forgot about code veronica. i don't think i've even played that.

+1 point from dinky reallocated to black :googley:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Black on Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:22 pm

:beerchug: thanks Spud.
[]
Black

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:26 pm

spud i just remembered, i knwo i told you i hadnt ever played a zelda game but i was wrong i found my old gameboy colour with zelda still in it the other day when i was clearing out my room, i completely forgot i had it, along with yoda stories, thankgod i never had poke a mong though

now it wouldnt be right if in a RE conversation i didnt indulge my RE Fanboy side (like the dark side just with more zombies)

yeah ok so i left this screen on for 10 minutes and now ive forgotten what i was gonna say so i will leave with this message... RE RULES
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Next

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal