eXistenZ (1999) *triple commentary*

Verified - Quality retail DVDRips. Xvid or DivX. If its non-retail, poorly mastered or if the rip is low-q, please post in low-q section. Lower quality DVD-rips may be moved to ensure high quality in this section. No VCDs or unverified releases in this section please.

Moderator: Movie Mods

eXistenZ (1999) *triple commentary*

Postby Polityk on Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:08 pm

Posted first on HHAH in non-horror section, but I didn't want the members of the sci-fi board to miss this:

As there already are a few very good rips of this amazing movie, I decided to go for something new and release a triple-commentary version. All 4 audio tracks are muxed within the avi's. I know this is not a typical thing to do, but I really hate ogg and I didn't want to release the additional tracks as separate mp3's, because they always dry up pretty fast. If you don't like the idea, simply don't download the files. The release has been tested under BSPlayer and all tracks play fine.

You will probably notice tracks 3 and 4 are lower quality than track 2 (Cronenberg's comment). That's because I didn't want to go below certain video bitrate, but on the other hand I believe Cronenberg's comment is the most important of the additional tracks, so I didn't want his track to be that lq. TBH, tracks 3 and 4 sound quite shitty, because I didn't notice I didn't check "mono" and only realized it later, when everything was muxed and split into 2 avi's. Still, I decided to release it as it is, because it's not about the quality of the commentary but rather about its content.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120907/

eD2k links:
eXistenZ.1999.DVDrip.xvid.ac3.triple.commentary.cd1.Polityk.avi
eXistenZ.1999.DVDrip.xvid.ac3.triple.commentary.cd2.Polityk.avi
eXistenZ.1999.DVDrip.xvid.ac3.triple.commentary.Polityk.-.English.subs.zip

Specs (taken before the split) and info on audio tracks:
Code: Select all
AVI File Details
========================================
Name.........: eXistenZ.1999.DVDrip.xvid.ac3.triple.commentary.Polityk.avi
Filesize.....: 1,397 MB (or 1,430,908 KB or 1,465,249,792 bytes)
Runtime......: 01:33:04 (139,588 fr)
Video Codec..: XviD
Video Bitrate: 1432 kb/s
Frame Size...: 704x400 (1.76:1) [=44:25]

Audio Stream 1
Audio Codec..: ac3 (0x2000) Dolby Laboratories, Inc
Audio Bitrate: 448 kb/s (6 ch) CBR

Audio Stream 2:  Director's Commentary
Audio Codec..: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
Audio Bitrate: 133 kb/s (66/ch, stereo) VBR

Audio Stream 3 and 4: Director of Photography's Commentary and Visual and Special Effects Supervisor's Commentary
Audio Codec..: mpeglayer3 (mp3) (0x0055) ISO/MPEG
Audio Bitrate: 64 kb/s (32/ch, stereo) VBR

sCreenshotZ:

CD1:

CD2:

eXtraZ:

eXistenZ.-.Frame.by.Frame.-.The.Invisible.Art.of.Production.Designer.Carol.Spier.ripped.by.Polityk.avi

It's a very interesting documentary on the making of eXistenZ, concentrating on the work of Cronenberg's production designer. Ripped from the original eXistenZ DVD.

AVI File Details
========================================
Name.........: eXistenZ.-.Frame.by.Frame.-.The.Invisible.Art.of.Production.Designer.Carol.Spier.ripped.by.Polityk.avi
Filesize.....: 349 MB (or 358,138 KB or 366,733,312 bytes)
Runtime......: 00:53:48 (80,700 fr)
Video Codec..: XviD
Video Bitrate: 769 kb/s
Audio Codec..: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
Audio Bitrate: 131 kb/s (65/ch, stereo) VBR LAME3.90.°
Frame Size...: 640x480 (1.33:1) [=4:3]

...and 2 screens for you to know what to expect. The cropping is not perfect, I didn't notice the vertical edges of the picture were a bit blurred and this is how it came out in auto-cropping (I hope this does not impair your viewing experience :), I am to lazy to encode it once again just because of this small detail, it's just a few pixels anyway):

Enjoy! :D

[ Add all 4 links to your ed2k client ]
Last edited by Polityk on Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
"When I was a kid we fuckin' respected our parents, we didn't fuckin' eat them!"
Polityk
Having trouble with tribbles

Postby Bassline on Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:17 pm

i have this on DVD myself but haven't actually listened to the commentaries yet :wacky:

nice release though :D

[edit] just checked my DVD and it says the AR is 1.85.1 and your rip is 704x400 (1.76:1) i'm guessing your DVD is anamorphic 1.78:1 right :?
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Bassline
Modding the Machine

Postby Polityk on Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:40 pm

The correct AR is 1:78, this is the ratio all Cronenberg's movies are shot for, i.e. this is how Cronenberg himself intends his movies to be watched. If your AR is 1.85 it means that it probably has been cropped too much. This happens quite often with DC's flicks (e.g. Criterion's edition of Dead Ringers). I have Momentum edition of eXistenZ and interestingly enough it says on the box it is 1.85:1. However, this is not true. I have checked the AR after reading your post and I'm absolutely sure it is correct. I don't even have to look at any specs, I can tell it when I watch it, it is definitely not as wide as 1.85. If you check other releases, you will find out there was no 1.85 release, all of them have the same AR as my rip (around 1.77). If you have the DVD, you may check it yourself if you don't believe me. :)

Funny thing, I hadn't noticed this before. I guess it's pretty surprising, they should give the correct AR on the cover. It's a very stupid mistake.

EDIT: Just checked the cover of my DVD once again. It has the 1.85:1 sign, next to it it reads: Presented in 1.85:1 Aspect Ration, and next to it it reads: WIDESCREEN VERSION 16:9. It is this DVD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 73-7263014
"When I was a kid we fuckin' respected our parents, we didn't fuckin' eat them!"
Polityk

Postby Bassline on Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:13 pm

i've got the Alliance Atlantis DVD which does say it's 1.85:1 on the case but checking this link
here it says 1.78:1.....but my case is not the same as this release and it's not a canadian import but it looks like this release over here sendit.com
which says it's 1.85:1 and also anamorphic? :wacky:

i'm confused
:lol:

anyway it's a damn good movie so great release :mrgreen:
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Bassline
Modding the Machine

Postby Bassline on Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:19 pm

yup it pretty much looks the same as my DVD....although my case doesn't actually say widescreen version 16:9...just says widescreen version....i think the packaging could well be the problem here :wacky:
Bassline
Modding the Machine

Postby Polityk on Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:21 pm

Alliance Atlantis, it's the same as mine. I have already told you what it says on the cover, it says 1.85:1 but also 16:9...

I guess the confusion stems from the fact that the information given on the cover is inconsistent. Nevertheless, I don't know of any real 1.85 version, so I guess it's safe to assume it simply does not exist and if some cover or web page says it does, they are simply mistaken. Having checked it *once again*, I am absolutely sure my version is 1.78:1.

:)
Polityk

Postby Bassline on Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:26 pm

:lol: agreed,you are right and the websites and packaging are wrong.... :D
Bassline
Modding the Machine

Return to High Quality Section