sci-fi & westerns?

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

sci-fi & westerns?

Postby lk88 on Wed May 10, 2006 9:18 am

Shalom,
I want to ask u if u know names of movies with sci-fi & western in same movie. And if u do, then please write it here with rates and links.

Thanks. :)
lk88
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed May 10, 2006 10:20 am

Westworld -> best western + scifi mix around. By writer Michael Crighton and is essentially an earlier and superior version of Jurassic Park.
Galaxina -> Ending has the old west ending

There's a lot of movies that essentially western storylines, take Outland for example, sure there's no cowboys, etc. but the story is just the basic "new sheriff in town" plot.

Recently, the most notable film to combine cowboys and scifi is obviously Serenity (firefly), but this isn't the slightest bit original. Space can and was interpretted as just a delivery for "wild west" type characters and situation. This has been a trait of scifi for many decades.

I imagine somewhere someones compiled a list of all
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby tweye on Wed May 10, 2006 12:27 pm

Back to the future 3

then the was that movie with a motorcicle rider who travels back in time till the wikkid wikkid wil' wil' west wikki wikki
"You are beyond insane!"
tweye
Owns a Genesis Record

Postby dinky on Wed May 10, 2006 2:00 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:There's a lot of movies that essentially western storylines, take Outland for example, sure there's no cowboys, etc. but the story is just the basic "new sheriff in town" plot.

Recently, the most notable film to combine cowboys and scifi is obviously Serenity (firefly), but this isn't the slightest bit original. Space can and was interpretted as just a delivery for "wild west" type characters and situation. This has been a trait of scifi for many decades.

yeah. I mean...that's basically 1/3rd of the genre. how closely do you mean it to follow the "western-in-space" thing? like Serenity</i>/Firefly</i>, which is out-and-out western squeezed into space? cuz everything from pitch black</i>/riddick</i> to soldier</i> to waterworld</i> are essentially "wild west in space" concepts. it's almost as common as the distopian stuff. being the 'final frontier' and all....
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Black on Wed May 10, 2006 8:07 pm

Moon Zero Two, claim jumping on the moon. Complete with sixguns and a saloon brawl (in low g) classic Brit sci-fi flick :)
[]
Black
Having trouble with tribbles

Postby Jynks on Wed May 10, 2006 10:06 pm

Outland. (small town sherif cleans up the town mining town)
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu May 11, 2006 8:31 am

Jynks wrote:Outland. (small town sherif cleans up the town mining town)

Since its got a second mention, that probably means check it out :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Lord Kromdar on Mon May 22, 2006 12:24 am

It's ok, if you like Sean Connery or Peter Boyle.......I saw it on its' initial release and got the DVD last year...time wasn't kind...
Lord Kromdar
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby switchdoctor on Mon May 22, 2006 4:12 pm

One of my favourite Star Trek Eps: Spectre of the Gun :matrix:
switchdoctor
Skutter

Postby mxyzptlk on Mon May 22, 2006 7:13 pm

Jynks wrote:Outland. (small town sherif cleans up the town mining town)

good film,this one

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue May 23, 2006 2:16 am

tweye wrote:Back to the future 3

then the was that movie with a motorcycle rider who travels back in time till the wikkid wikkid wil' wil' west wikki wikki

thats TimeRider - the adventure of lyle swann (1982) starring fred ward (tremors & tremors 2) as lyle swann, good 80s film, theres a dvdrip around mule

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086443/

Lyle, a motorcycle champion is traveling the Mexican desert, when he find himself in the action radius of a time machine. So he find himself one century back in the past between rapists, thiefs and murderers....

The Valley of Gwangi (1969) is a scifi/western ish film, cowboys in the wild west vs dinosaurs

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065163/

In circa-1900 Mexico, T.J. Breckenridge, a beautiful cowgirl, hosts a wild west show that is struggling. Former boyfriend Tuck Kirby, working for Buffalo Bill's wild west show, wants to buy out T.J., but T.J. has an ace she hopes will boost attendence at her show - a tiny horse. The tiny horse, however, comes from The Forbidden Valley and a convoy of gypsies demands the tiny horse be returned to the valley; the horse's genesis is also known to a British paleontologist, Sir Horace Bromley, working in the nearby desert. T.J., her men, and Tuck eventually find The Forbidden Valley with Bromley, and encounter a litany of living dinosaurs. One, a belligerent Allosaurus, is known as Gwangi by the gypsies, and a running pursuit sidetracks into a bloody battle with a styracosaur and eventually to terror in the outside town.
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby Novocaine Cowboy on Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:49 am

Wild Wild West with Will Smith was fun.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120891/
Novocaine Cowboy
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:51 am

was it? i must've missed that part of the movie
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Novocaine Cowboy on Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:38 am

Oh ya, it's right up there with the MIB movies. Not that they're westerns, mind you, but just sayin' :moon:
Novocaine Cowboy
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby MyK on Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:41 am

Just some that weren't mentioned before and I found via the IMDB power search:

Timestalkers (1987) (TV) (Adventure / Western / Sci-Fi) IMDB rating: 5.3/10 (229 votes)
Timerider: The Adventure of Lyle Swann (1982) (Action / Adventure / Comedy / Sci-Fi / Western) IMDB rating: 5.3/10 (347 votes)
The Valley of Gwangi (1969) (Western / Sci-Fi / Thriller) IMDB rating: 5.7/10 (602 votes)
The Wild Wild West Revisited (1979) (TV) (Action / Comedy / Western / Adventure / Sci-Fi) IMDB rating: 5.9/10 (100 votes)
The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1956) (Western / Horror / Sci-Fi) IMDB rating: 4.8/10 (151 votes)
Moon Zero Two (1969) (Crime / Sci-Fi / Western) IMDB rating: 2.9/10 (260 votes)
Oblivion (1994) (Adventure / Sci-Fi / Western) IMDB rating: 4.6/10 (237 votes)
Oblivion 2: Backlash (1996) (Sci-Fi / Western) IMDB rating: 5.2/10 (122 votes)
The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. (1993) [TV-Series] (Action / Sci-Fi / Western / Adventure / Comedy) IMDB rating: 8.9/10 (486 votes)
Tremors 4: The Legend Begins (2004) (V) (Action / Comedy / Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller / Western) IMDB rating: 5.3/10 (1,096 votes)

Some other movies also come to mind, like "Mars", "Capricorn One", "The American Astronaut",... hell, even "Dune" has sand, hats, riding saddles and fast guns :lol:

Now like I wrote in some other thread some time ago I realy hate IMDB and the way they are being partial and how ratings system works, so here's much the same search for Google Movies that'll give you some interesting results. Do try with different search phrases, though.

Perhaps you could also do a search on ed2k network for those movies mentioned above and create a new collection post in the Sci-fi Collections thread on this BB?
:beerchug:
"The products suck! There's no sex in them anymore!" (Steve Jobs)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:09 pm

Timerider: The Adventure of Lyle Swann (1982) (Action / Adventure / Comedy / Sci-Fi / Western) IMDB rating: 5.3/10 (347 votes)
The Valley of Gwangi (1969) (Western / Sci-Fi / Thriller) IMDB rating: 5.7/10 (602 votes)

were already mentioned by me about 3 posts above yours lol, silly myk :p
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby killingjokezzz on Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:32 pm

Not a movie of course, but the video to Knights of Cydonia by Muse is pretty awesome. :D
killingjokezzz
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby MyK on Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:52 pm

lol, silly myk :p

LOL well I'm not a cowboy so I'm shooting blanks here :lol:

the video to Knights of Cydonia by Muse is pretty awesome

...and I'm not the only one ;) ROFLMAO

If the original question could be stretched a bit further and would not only apply to the westerns but cowboys and their lifestyle in general then we've left out quite a few other movies, like "Space Cowboys", "The Dish", "Dr. Strangelove", "The Big Empty", "Space Truckers", "Spaceballs",... to name just a few that have some sort of cowboys in them :D
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:59 pm

MyK wrote:
lol, silly myk :p

LOL well I'm not a cowboy so I'm shooting blanks here :lol:

You see I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse i ride, i'm wanted dead or alive, i walk these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, i play for keeps, 'coz i might not make it back, I've been everywhere, still i'm standin' tall, i've seen a million faces and i've rocked them all :rock:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby MyK on Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:19 am

Yep, I recognize your signature pic ;) 8)

Which reminds me of one of you previous posts in "Guess the movie" thread:

Remember? Could "Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983)" also be tagged as a Sci-Fi/Western? I never saw it :?
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Next

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal